Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wait for windows 8? And should I save by going OEM?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm wondering, should I wait for 8?

And also, what is the risk of going with the OEM version of 7? I've read you can't change out motherboards and whatnot if you do go that route. Is it true?

And is 64bit backward compatible with 32 bit programs? I can't decide which one to go with.

Edited by printerandink, 03 January 2012 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

I would get Windows 7 64-bit

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Windows 8 is (essentially) Windows 7 with a new UI. Go with W7.

With an OEM, the key becomes tied to that machine. Legally, you're not supposed to transfer it after that and the key will probably not activate on the new hardware. However if, for instance, your hard drive fails and you need to reinstall, a call to Microsoft explaining the matter usually resolves the problem.

Which bit-depth to go with is almost entirely determined by your processor. If you have a 64-bit CPU, then go with that. 32-bit apps will work fine.

Edited by LucheLibre, 04 January 2012 - 03:07 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'll add that if you only need Windows 7 Home premium there are Upgrade packs available that can be used on three computers for a very reasonable price if you can use it for three computers.
Suggest 64bit version and I only post the link below to show what to look for.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Family/dp/B002MV2MG0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325710105&sr=8-2 $148.80

Visit our windows 8 forum and see some of the comments
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum209.html

I sure didn't like it. However if you are a smart phone user and plan to use a touchscreen it may be OK for you.

Edited by rotor123, 04 January 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'd also recommend going with Windows 7 64 bit if you have the requirements for it. No risks as far as features go with the OEM version. OEM versions are generally available for system builders and you get no support from Microsoft. As far as changing the motherboard, and in my experience, Microsoft is usually understanding when it comes to changing a MB. Its automated most of the time.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

I would get Windows 7 64-bit

Win 7 is similar in 32 and 64bit, and less complicated for newer users if you stay with 32bit.
64bit was first designed for larger computers, and people that wanted minor increases in performance.

If you are a fairly basic user (like most of us), 32bit is generally more than enough for most people.
Upgrade to Windows 8 rather than spending money on going from 32 to 64bit.

Just my opinion on the subject - Regards -

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

As has been mentioned, Windows 8 looks like it's going to be just Windows 7 with a rather different shell.

Windows 7 is the best Windows OS currently available for purchase. If Microsoft's pattern of alternating awfulness (Windows ME, Windows Vista) with awesomeness (Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7) holds true then Windows 8 should prove to be a real stinker.

I generally recommend that you get the Home Premium SKU, unless you know you need something more expensive. I have yet to hit any barriers with Home Premium.

Most, if not all, 32 bit Windows applications should function properly under 64 bit Windows (though the reverse is not true.) 64 bit computers and OSes are rapidly displacing 32 bit platforms as the dominant Windows platform. I foresee in the not-too-distant future applications released only in 64 bit versions (similar to how 16 bit applications died out in favor of 32 bit applications.)

Getting an OEM version is much cheaper, usually, but it does have the disadvantage of being tied to the hardware. I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and it forced a re-validation after I upgraded the sound card (it was pretty much automatically re-validated, but I did have the ominous "This Version of Windows in not valid" message on my desktop for about 5 minutes.) If you are planning to buy an OEM version of Windows for a self-built rig (or one you plan on modifying heavily) wait until after you've finished tweaking the hardware before activating Windows.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

One other reason to go 64Bit.

In 32 bit 3Gb is more or less all you should bother having installed in the computer.
With 64bit you can have much more memory installed.

I run 64 bit and I used 64bit for the build for my brother. Even my older software runs as does his.

Yup a little too touchy about simple hardware changes and needing to re-validate.

I just added 1 GB to a Xp machine that must have been the last straw as I had to re-activate it. Might have been the earlier CPU upgrade that hurt the way it decides to be activated or not.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Does the home edition have XP mode like pro does? I would like to use some old xp programs and not buy new ones.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

No, it doesn't.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

As LucheLibre says, No

Having said that, I bought and use Win7 Pro x64 because I thought I'd need XP mode.

I haven't needed it nor have I loaded it.
All my old XP programs have installed and run. A couple needed some tweaking such as set them to run in Administrator mode.

I would not expect some things that need to get deep into the OS such as a utility program, nor would I want to run some of those that are designed for Xp in Windows 7. Nor would I expect 16 bit programs to run.

Other things such as older versions of Nero won't run nor would I want to run them even under XP mode.

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2012 - 11:16 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

FWIW: The upgrade version contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win Home Premium, at a low cost for install on 3 systems (same license).

Louis

#13 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I thought I could only go the upgrade route if I had vista. If I have xp pro can I load it and then stick in the 7 pro disc and load it? can I upgrade to ultimate?

Edited by printerandink, 05 January 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

This will tell you if your current XP programs will run on Windows7 -

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

<<I thought I could only go the upgrade route if I had vista. If I have xp pro can I load it and then stick in the 7 pro disc and load it? can I upgrade to ultimate>>

"Upgrade" is the key term and it's used in various ways.

XP users can use the upgrade version...but it results in a clean install of Win 7. I dual-boot my XP install and my Win 7 install, with both on same hard drive (in one case) and different hard drives (second system).

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Windows 7 Upgrade Guide All Your Questions Answered Maximum PC - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_upgrade_guide_all_your_questions_answered

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users