Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS's that actually work safely?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Is there any way to get one that WILL work safely? They seem to be one of those things that always gets poor reviews (such as "oh, geez, my room is on fire", or "oh geez, it doesn't even keep my pc on"... etc...).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

1. Avoid cheap no name UPS's
2. Avoid cheap brand name UPS's

I use a $100+ APC UPS on my I7 computer and 32" TV (used as the monitor) and when the power blips they stay running.
I have a really old UPS300 that the battery finally wore out on that I've had for years connected to my DVRs. I'm pretty sure I got it in either 1999 or 2000.

I know some local offices running several servers per office and the use the APC UPS's designed for servers. They would no more buy and run a server without a UPS then I'd dive into lake Erie in mid winter wearing only a swimsuit and nobody to save me.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101166
or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101459

You get what you pay for. I have a older model hooked up to my two servers and they have kept running through all the power outages so far except the one that lasted for hours.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

wow, pricey.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

for the home you need to look at two things beyond good brand.

The VA rating
The output in watts rating

The cheaper units may have the same VA rating but a lower output wattage rating.

The two example I gave are for business small server use.

For home use I've always been OK with APC brand.Just get one that can handle the load if the power goes out.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

APC is the only brand that I use for UPC's. If it is just a home use then they have cheaper alternatives. Find out the wattage you need (check the power supply in your computer) and get one a little stronger than that. Set your BIOS to stay off after a power outage. What you could do, is go to the APC site, browse their models and find one that suits your purpose. After you find the model you want hunt for the lowest price, I would use the google shopping, its really amazing, then check EBAY, then your local stores. If you find a good price on the internet and an expensive price locally see if they will price match.

I personally don't need my monitor running on UPC power, just a surge protector. The UPC isn't for getting extra time on your computer when the power goes out, its so you can immediately save everything and shut down your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users