Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Malwarebytes has block access to a malicious website" Spam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sean92

Sean92

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Shortly before Christmas I was convinced that my computer was infected with some kind of malware. I had Avast anti-virus installed and Norton anti-virus (Not sure if they are compatible or not). Avast anti-virus seemed to simply break, it would open on start up although nothing could be done with the programme. Norton anti-virus would also take atleast a few minutes to start although it is set to open on start up. During the time in which Norton anti-virus was disable me internet connection would be cut.

I managed to execute a cmd prompt to boot into the administrator account from which I ran a full system scan with Norton, bearing no results. I then proceeded to download the Malwarebytes Pro trial and perform a full system scan, which also found nothing. After a few hours of checking for any suspicious files/processes (and finding none) I booted back into my normal computer account and everything ran fine and the malware seemingly removed (despite finding absoloutely nothing).

However while I use my internet browser (Google Chrome) and even after I have closed the browser, Malwarebytes continuously spams me with messages saying that it has block access to malicious websites, one such I.P is 62.45.250.11. I have recently booted my computer into admin/safe/normal modes and scanned with both Norton and Malwarebytes and found nothing but a few tracking cookies. Though I am convinced that there is some malware on my computer trying to phone home and download some of its tools.

Could anyone give some advice/info/fixes?

Regards and thank you for your time, Sean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. Some legitimate programs on your computer have access to the Internet and that action can also trigger an IP alert. These events are stored in the "protection-log". Your firewall should be able to give you a list of such programs so you can confirm if they are legitimate. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. Botnets and Zombie computers scour the net, randomly scanning a block of IP addresses, searching for vulnerable ports - commonly probed ports and make repeated attempts to access them. Hackers use "port scanning", a popular reconnaissance technique, to search for vulnerable computers with open ports using IP addresses or a group of random IP address ranges so they can break in and install malicious programs. Malwarebytes is doing its job by blocking this kind of traffic and alerting you about these intrusion attempts.

Information that explains IP Protection feature can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs.

What does IP Protection do?
IP Protection provides an additional layer of security for your computer, by preventing access to known malicious IP addresses and IP ranges...

What does this notification mean?
This notification means quite simply, that an IP address has been blocked. It does NOT necessarily mean you are infected, it simply means a program on your computer (e.g. your browser, IM program, P2P program etc), tried accessing a malicious IP address...

Other FAQs about IP Protection
How does it do this?
How does it inform you?
I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's that happen?
I received a notification on a safe site, why?
How do I disable this?
I got an alert for an IP or website I think is safe, how can I report it?
Does the IP Protection replace my firewall?
Where do I find the IP Protection logs?
How can I add an IP so it won't be detected and can access a site I need to?[/b]

If you are using peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, uTorrent, BitLord, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, etc) or an (IM) client, be aware they can trigger IP Protection alerts. Why? Because these kind of programs are a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections and remote attacks. Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to significant conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously and issues with Windows resource management. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus may interpret the activity of the other as suspicious behavior and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus or a suspicious file and then the other also finds the same, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus or suspicious file. Each anti-virus may attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it at the same time resulting in a resource management issue as to which program gets permission to act first. If one anit-virus finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a threat has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for malware and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, many anti-virus vendors encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. Further, dual installation is not always possible because most of the newer anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to download and installation of another. If the installation does complete with another anti-virus already installed, you may encounter issues like system freezing, unresponsiveness or similar symptoms while trying to use it.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a timeYou can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan:Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner is one of the more effective ones.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sean92

Sean92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thank you very much for your response!

You have taught me much about anti virus programmes and quelled my fear at the same time. God bless you sir!

Should the situation develop into anything unexpected I will be sure to come and seek further information here.

Kind regards and further thankyouses, Sean.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif