Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watching topics does not appear to generate notifications

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LSaff

LSaff

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

I noticed one or two people in the Malware logs forum mentioned not seeing notifications when their log posts were responded to, but thought maybe it was just inattention or some random glitch. But I got a Helpbot reply to my own post this afternoon. The reason I saw it was that I opened "My Content" from my profile menu, and noticed that there was a reply to that post. I still show zero in notifications, and when I clicked just now on the zero, a hint came up that read "You have zero notifications." I thought maybe the notices might have gotten marked read or something. But it doesn't seem that's the case.

I expect that most people needing help will be as anxious as I am, and probably do not need the notifications, but I thought if you were not aware I'd note the way it is operating.

Thanks for the help and for all of the good info and camaraderie in this group!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Do you remember, or can you check, if you setup the notifications to be delayed or immediate? If not set to immediate, you may not always get notifications if you are on the site at the time of the new post.

#3 LSaff

LSaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Do you remember, or can you check, if you setup the notifications to be delayed or immediate? If not set to immediate, you may not always get notifications if you are on the site at the time of the new post.

The default I chose was "Immediate Notification," in response to the Malware logs instruction directions. But overall in my profile settings, here's what I saw:

Privacy Settings: Hide my email address from other members is checked. Send me any updates sent by the board administrator is checked. Disable my personal messenger is not checked.

Notification Preferences: Only "Watch every topic I reply to" is checked, and "Immediate notification" is the default notification type selected.

But then, "Inline notification" was only selected below that for the three "Private Messages" notifications. For "Topics & Posts" there, I had only "Email" checked. Just now I checked "inline Notification."

Interestingly, groovicus was moderating a post I sent to the Forum for speakeasy or anything goes, and I got that as both an email AND I had a "1" show up on the site for the "Notifications" widget -- BEFORE setting "Inline Notification" on for Topics & Posts, just as I signed in today to read this message from you.

It seems as if there are almost too many different options for how to be notified on what sort of event! My brain got tired thinking about all of them and which I would want in what way, so I just let them be at the default settings to start out.

Thanks for taking a look into this!!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

I agree..the notification system of Invision Board leaves a lot to be desired. Immediate notification is the right setting so you should be good there.

Let me know if you run into any other trouble with email notifications and I will take a look at the server logs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users