Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor ports not responsive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hello,

I have a VGA port on my PC, when I connect my monitor via a VGA cable (cable confirmed to be working) there is no response. I have looked inside and the port is connected to a board of some sort (as far as I can tell).

Here is a picture to show what's going on:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

from that photo, I can surmise that your computer has both a integrated graphics card, and a dedicated graphics card. The integrated graphics card, is the one on your motherboard, that the VGA port, and the upper HDMI port, are connected to, and the dedicated graphics card. The way most computers work, is when you install a dedicated graphics card, it automatically disables the integrated video card, which is why your monitor doesnt work on the VGA or the upper HDMI port. You can fix this by either removing the dedicated graphics card, or disabling it in the BIOS, however I think if your dead set on using VGA, I think your better off getting an DVI to VGA adaptor such as this and hooking your vga monitor to the DVI port of your dedicated graphics card-using the integrated card slows your computer down.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thank you for your clear explanation t_p. Now I understand why the ports aren't working now and that I can't really use them.

It seems I have a somewhat awkward set-up. I have a dual monitor set-up, with one monitor that will only take a VGA input and another monitor that will only take a DVI input. I tried to use the working HDMI port to connect to my non-VGA monitor, but I was not able to get the monitor's maximum resolution via that connection (which I need for work). As you can see my single working DVI port is not enough!

Do you know of a HDMI to VGA adaptor?

Edited by Gorilla Boy, 04 January 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

unfortunatly, no I do not know of such an adaptor. It may be a driver problem-what kind of computer do you have, and what kind of video card is it do you know? and what OS? If you dont know what kind of video card it is, you should be able to find it in device manager. (right click my computer, it will be on the left hand menu in both vista and 7. you should also be able to access it by right clicking my computer in xp as well, though the menu is different)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

It may be a driver problem

Are you referring to why I cannot get the maximum resolution using a HDMI cable? If so, I recently made a thread asking for help here, where I detailed the specs you asked about.

Edited by Gorilla Boy, 04 January 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

aaah, well in that case I agree with dpunishers solution-you have the incorrect cable.

picard5.jpg

#7 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

OK. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will have to make a compromise between one monitor and it's best resolution or two monitors and lower resolution, as I have now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users