Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Salvage & Slave Old Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lohryx5

lohryx5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have several old hard drives that I salvaged from some of my older computers. One of the hard drives, for example, came from one of my old computers which died because of bad caps on the motherboard. I would like to be able to install these drives, one at a time, into another computer in order to extract all the data (Docs, Pics, Music, etc.). I believe two of the three hard drives were original drives with some version of Windows installed...I'm pretty sure one had Windows XP, but I'm not sure about the others.

This other computer is an HP Pavilion a1730n desktop, AMD Athlon 62 x2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2.4GHz), 2.0 GB RAM. This computers has Windows Vista Home Premium installed on its current hard drive, a 320 GB, SATA drive. The motherboard does have a couple of IDE connectors (1 blue, 1 black) on the board.

One thing to note, however, this other computer has been flaking out on me lately. Once it gets to the log in screen, it blanks and brings up a BSOD (pic attached), blanks again, then goes to the black screen where it asks if I want to Boot into Safe Mode. I can boot into Safe and have already extracted all the files I want off the currently installed hard drive.

How do I install these older drives so I can copy the data. I tried installing one already but must have missed something. I hooked up a spare Molex 4-pin power connector from the power supply, plugged a 40-pin IDE ribbon cable into the back of the old hard drive, then plugged the other end into one of the IDE connectors on the motherboard. I even moved the jumper on the old hard drive to the Slave pins. When I started the computer it automatically booted up the black screen where it said something had been changed and asked if I wanted to Boot into Safe Mode or the other options. I tried booting into Safe, but it came back to the same screen again. I'm not sure if I plugged the IDE cable into the wrong connector on the board or if I'm missing something with regards to how the computer is viewing this drive when it tries to boot up. I'm obviously no pro here. :)

Appreciate any help/info anyone can provide. Thanks.

V/R,
John

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

If you are not too computer savy, an easy trouble free solution for you is to purchase a USB to IDE & SATA Adaptor Cable . Very simple and easy to use. You can connect SATA, IDE, and mini IDE (laptop hard drives) to your computer via e USB port.

Something like this

Hope that helps.

#3 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Jodav,

Thanks for the help. I had found this one a few days ago http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&Tpk=N82e16812232002 and figure I will just get this. I was hoping there was something I could do for now instead of having to wait for this to come in the mail. No worries, though...thanks again.

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

No problem lohryx5,

That will do fine by the way from newegg.

You seem to have it connected right at present, if there is a coloured stripe on one side of the ribbon cable, then that should be closest to the 4pin molex connector, most newish cables and drives normaly make it so you cannot put ribbon cable the wrong way round nowadays.

Check in the BIOS to ensure you are booting to the Vista drive as it looks like it may be trying to boot to the IDE hard drive which it will not be able to as thye hardware will not match its settings, so check in the boot options in your BIOS, and set it to boot from the vista drive. Then you should be able to go into "Computer" and navigate the XP old drive.

Good Lick.
jodav :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users