Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP System will not boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Why some people never backup their systems is beyond me. I have a client with a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP Home. She doesn't have an installation CD. The computer starts, shows the Dell logo and then the Windows XP logo. After a short pause, it flashes 'Boot from CD' in the top right corner of the screen and then returns to the boot options page. I tried hitting the F8 key to see if there is an option to repair the computer or return to factory settings. Sadly, there isn't. My intuition tells me that the repair option only appears if the system is booted from a CD. Does anyone here have a clue as to what to do? I am totally at a loss.

:(

Edited by richierein, 03 January 2012 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

What model Inspiron?

Louis

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi Louis,

Inspiron 530S

Richard Rein

Edited by richierein, 04 January 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Dell Support Page

Louis

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for responding to my query. I read the pages noted from your link quite carefully. Surprisingly, there does not exist an option to run diagnostics anywhere. Not with F2, F8 or F12. Also, Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't work either. I tried every option on the Windows Advanced Options Menu and got nowhere. Perhaps I am missing something. I called Dell. They implied that they would be able to correct the problem at a cost of $59 but I seriously doubt it. But before I proceed any further, I have to contact my client before spending money. If you can think of any other avenues to follow, I will be pleased to hear from you.

Richard Rein

Edited by richierein, 04 January 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi Louis,

I found, downloaded and ran Dell Diagnostics. It found a few bad blocks, one of which I suspected may have been in the area of that initiates Windows. I did some searching with Google and found a really great site. It allowed me to download Windows XP to an ISO file for FREE which I transferred to CD, ran CHKDSK/f on the system with the problem, fixed the bad blocks and voila! I had a running system. The website I referred to with the FREE XP is:

Link Removed

Thanks for everything. Problem resolved.

:thumbup2: :)

Edited by Grinler, 10 August 2012 - 08:13 AM.
Copyright infringement

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Addendum:

To my knowledge, Microsoft does not authorize free downloads of any version of Windows...to anyone, at any time.

There are many (IMO) sites which provide illegal downloads of Windows.

Aside from the illegality, there is the possibility that such illegal versions...have been modified to include malware. Such downloads are perfect for such malicious practices, since those who use such sites...have no recourse whatever to MS or anyone who does not sanction illegal download/use of Windows.

The site you linked to is a filesharing website, with content provided by anyone with the will/resources. Although the site itself has not been deemed to be a threat...the fact that anyone can upload anything makes it, IMO, a risk to download what may appear to be "free files" which have been uploaded by someone.

One of the BC website rules:
"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#9 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi Louis,

Once again, thanks for your advice, however I did nothing with this 'illegal' software (which I would assume it is) except to analyze and correct an existing disk structure, nothing else. I never infringed on anyone's rights and my client will still use the original existing license. This software only allowed me the means to get to a proper end. Everyone is satisfied, I got paid, my client's system is operating with its proper license and Microsoft is no better or worse off in any way. Of course I was careful to check for and eliminate all viruses and infections. There must have been over a thousand. I hope my client has learned a good lesson and will begin backing up her computer.

Richard

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

I find that...humans can rationalize anything in the name of unenlightened self-interest.

I've pointed out the forum rules prevalent here...and the risks of doing what you did and what others might also do, in the name of their own unenlightened self-interest.