Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

run time error 1004 application defined or object defined error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darkmoose84

darkmoose84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

I am continually getting the error "Run Time error 1004: Application defined or object defined error," each time a user clicks one of the cells within this excel file. It comes up as apparently a visual basic error. I've search other sites and unfortunately do not know enough about macros or excel formulas to know what to do next, so I thought I would post about it here. One user apparently has no trouble opening it while every other user has the same issue. Here is the debug code:

Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

End Sub

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = -4142
Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 8
Target.EntireColumn.Interior.ColorIndex = 8
End Sub

The "Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = -4142" portion is highlighted in yellow, so I assume that's where the error is. From there, I'm not sure what to do to change it. Please let me know as soon as possible what direction I should take.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

To be honest...I would assume that the file is corrupt and try to replace it. All seemingly meaningful links on this error involve VBA coding and things that can go wrong with it...way overhead my head and out of my interest arena :).

If it truly is a coding error (as seems implied), I would take it to the originator of that file, since it throws an error.

Very strange that e pluribus unum...manages to use it without problems :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users