Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOWNLOADS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

HI,I JUST GOT A EMAIL THAT SUGGESTS THAT DOWNLOAD A NEW VERSION OF ACROBAT READER,I WENT THE SUGGESTED SITE BY WAY OF
SEARCH BAR,BUT NOT SURE WHICH ONE IS THE REAL SITE AS THERE WERE SEVERAL THAT LOOKED THE SAME IS THERE A WAY TELLING
THEM APART,THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

I would not bother to try using the link sent to you to try to locate Acrobat Reader. I got the same email at an email address that Adobe does not have for me. I knew it was probably a link to some malware and deleted it. I used Adobe Reader and went to Help, Update and there was none available.

If you want to check updates for Adobe products, just go to www.adobe.com directly. Don't click on any search links or links in emails.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

THANKs,I GET UPDATE BOXES ON MY PC ALL THE TIME FROM ACROBAT AND I HAVE SEEN WHERE EVEN THOSE ARE NOT SAFE TO USE
AND THE SAFEST WAY IS TO USE THEIR OFFICAL SITE.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Your other option to stop the popup or update boxes is to try an alternative to the vastly bloated and often targeted adobe reader. If that is an option you might be interested in, we can point you in the direction of a replacement.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

HI,IS there an alternitive to ADOBE READER, i thought that was the only option,and will it run
along with ADOBE READER until i get it up and working see if i like it,THANK YOU

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Off the top of my head and in no particular order. You'll have to google for the downloads. They are all free and I may have missed ones I'm unaware of or slipped my mind.

• Foxit Reader
  • PDF-XChange
  • Sumatra
  • Nitro

FWIW: I use PDF-XChange and have for many years.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

HI, Animal,thanks for info. will look up suggestions,my only problem with some these
programs it appears they do not play well with each other.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

<<...it appears they do not play well with each other.>>

I'm not understanding that comment. You only need one .pdf reader program installed...and, if you haven't tried them...how can you determine that "they do not play well with each other"?

Acrobat Reader, IMO, is not worth the problems it presents to users and the alternatives available which have been presented (only a few of all those available) are not problematical (in contrast to Adobe Reader) on the system.

Louis

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

HI,hamluis,The problems that spc3rd has almost mirrors what have been fighting for awhile.
I went into safemode ran all of the scans i have downloaded took about a day and a half.
When i was in safemode all of my desltop icons lit up but not in regular start up.\
PC refuses to startup when i click on I.E.. Also when i did my scans i unhooked from the
internet as i thought that would keep from having any conflicts.
Should i be able to get on the internet while in safemode thru I.E.
Also do zone alarm and M/S fire wall play well together,sorry about long long but this is getting really
annoying and as usual most problems with PC's are sometimes really simple,THANKS

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2012 - 06:05 PM.
Moved, sent PM.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

HI,The post i just sent was from PC that works just fine,THANKS

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

Also do zone alarm and M/S fire wall play well together,

If your ZoneAlarm came with the firewall, then you do NOT want or need the MS firewall enabled. If you are using ZoneAlarm Anitivirus, then it should have installed their firewall and turned of MS firewall automatically. NEVER run more than one firewall

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

HI,I can not get my PC to get past icons and then only some of them will light up
PC will not go farther,click start nothing happens,go to safemode icons all come on
but still will not go to start up and go to home page,it is froze at icons.THANKS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users