Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Maximum Resolution From Monitor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hello,

Can you help me get the maximum resolution from my monitor? My graphics card's 'Calalyst Control Center' shows a max reported resolution of 1920x1200. However, the instructions for my monitor say 'The optimal resolution is 1920x1200 via VGA input and 2560x1600 via DVI input.'

• I have a Dell 3008WFP 30 inch monitor that I bought two years ago.
  • My PC is a Dell Inspiron 620s, Win7, with a 'AMD RADEON HD 6450' graphics card that has 1GB memory.
  • I am connecting my monitor using a HDMI Cable.

I have tried using windows software and the graphics card's software to get the desired resolution. This has left me slightly confused and I'm still at 1920x1200 resolution.

Edited by Gorilla Boy, 03 January 2012 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Can you try using DVI and see if its your cable?

#3 Gorilla Boy

Gorilla Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Can you try using DVI and see if its your cable?

I tried using a DVI cable, with the same results.

The monitor instructions do say to use a dual link DVI cable, which I do not have. I bought a HDMI cable instead, as I thought it would be at least as good, whilst keeping a DVI port free for my other monitor.

Do you think it's worth buying a dual link DVI cable, hoping that my HDMI cable is the problem?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

"The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600."

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users