Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you install optical drives? sata and eide format????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dissension

Dissension

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

A little confuse about jumpers and single drives.

If you have dual eide drivers, you set the jumpers away from the mobo as slave then master.
MOBO | eide port | Slave | Master.

Now... if you use one drive, you set the jumper neither slave or master but the 3rd option right? And it doesn't matter which end of the eide cable you connected it to right? Like say you put it in the second bay.

What do you do about SATA drives? Same as you would do with a sata HDD? Do you still deal with jumpers?

Now, say you have a eide drive that is neither slave or master, the pc decides. And you want to get a sata blu ray drive that is on sale for 20ish dollars on ebay. how will that work? One drive eide and the second sata??? Can they work together?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

with eIDE drives, there are 3 options (in no order as the order varies from drive to drive)
1) Cable Select - The position of the drive on the ribbon cable sets the drive to either Slave (the middle connector), or Master (An end connector)
2) Slave - Sets the drive to a lower priority then the Master. If set to slave either connector will work and the drive will be a slave
3) Master - Most important Drive on the Ribbon Cable. Sasme thing as above, if set to master either connector will work and the drive will be a master.

There must be one Slave and one master per ribbon cable

If you have both a hard drive and an optical drive on the same ribbon cable the Hard Drive must be set to master and the optical set to slave. You can also use Cable Select, but the hard Drive must be at the end connector, which may require ingenious cable routing depending on the case.

With SATA, each drive has it's own connection to ther motherboard so there are no slaves and masters. The jumpers are used for other things (if they have them at all). For instance on my SATA Hard Drive the Jumpers are used for setting the transfer speeds (1.5/3/6GBpS) which allows the drive to be used with SATA 1, SATA 2, or SATA 3 compatible motherboards.

SATA and IDE drives will work together just fine. I have a SATA Hard Drive and Optical drive and then another IDE Hard drive and Optical drive and all work in perfect harmony (when the IDE Optical decides to work that is, but that's age and abuse related not incompatibility).

Make sure your Motherboard supports SATA (if its fairly recent it should) and make sure you have a SATA power connection available from the PSU or a 4-Pin Molex and a SATA adapter.

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ebay, hmmph

Yes you can have a Mix of ATA and SATA. I do in my computer.

Read the advertisement very carefully, I've seen some really weasel wordings that imply one thing and completely mean another.
If no software that can be expensive to buy. There are no good free BluRay movie player software.

Before buying read user reviews on a site such as Newegg or amazon on the drive make & model itself.

Consider getting a BluRay burner. However it needs to be a current still being sold model. Nothing more useless than a old can't use most modern blanks drive. I use a Pioneer BDR-206Bk and it burns 4x Verbatim at 4X and 6X blanks at 6X and it would burn faster if I let it.

OTOH the 10X LG I replaced with the Pioneer was finicky about brand of BD-R media and burned most at 2X even though they were rated faster. I can use cheap discs from a spindle in the Pioneer for testing my BluRay movie authoring before burning to the Good Quality Verbatims with no problems. In the LG they just turned out as coasters.

Edited by rotor123, 03 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users