Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 crashed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smertz

Smertz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hey everyone so here is my problem. I was just on my computer listening to music and playing my ps3 when my computer just restarted on its own. It gets to the loading windows screen and just freezes. The windows logo on the loading screen doesnt show. So the first step I tried was trying to boot into safe mode but there is problem one. I cannot boot into safe mode becasue whenever I hit F8 it does nothing and just boots into windows like normal. I know my keyboard works because if I hit F12 to list my boot device options it works. So since I could not boot into safe mode I used my win 7 dvd to try a system restore. That didnt work, neither did the repair windows startup option. After all this I took my hdd out connected it to my laptop and then ran a check disk. It didnt find a errors just missing files :-\ So what I want to get done now is just to restore my windows OS files like you can do with XP but i cannot figure out how to do this Win 7. Also I have the newest bios firmware.

Here is my system specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Processor - Core i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Video Card - Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Memory - PNY XLR8 12gb
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1tb x3, WD Caviar Black 2tb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

If your windows 7 disk allows it you can go as if you were going to do a fresh install But choose upgrade instead of custom install. Some Caveats, Must be the same disc you installed from. and You must pick Upgrade. If it won't let you do an upgrade custom will only do a clean fresh install. And of course a retail upgrade version of the same type should always work.
IE if an Generic OEM it must be the same version and bit. 64 bit for 64 bit and Ultimate for Ultimate.

I have not personally tried this myself. however from what I see it should work.

Edited by rotor123, 03 January 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Smertz

Smertz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I tried the upgrade but it wants me to restart the computer in windows and use the upgrade feature :-| I am about to just re-format my computer but I really want to find out what went wrong with it first.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

did you run the drive makers diagnostics on the hard drive? BTW the disk check you ran is not a diagnostic it is to fix things like corrupt file table entries.

Did you run a memory test?

When you had the drive in the other computer did you run a Antivirus and MalwareBytes on it to ensure no malicious software on the drive?

Just as an example it is possible for Malware to disable safe mode.
If you want to know what happened I'd run those tests.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Smertz

Smertz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I haven't run any diagnostic tools from WD yet but I will make sure to try it. I usually run disk check to check for bad sectors. I didnt find anything with malware bytes either but I have had virus' in the past so it has probably been disabled since and I haven't noticed lol And the memory test didn't report any problems.

Edited by Smertz, 04 January 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

that is not a chkdsk function. It can be set to locate and move data off of bad sectors however that will not tell you if the drive is failing which is what hard drive diagnostics is for.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users