Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader update keeps failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

For the past couple of weeks now, my mom's computer keeps getting an update notice for Adobe Reader after every Startup. I've tried several times over the course of the past 2 weeks to update Adobe Reader so that the update notice will go away and also so that Adobe Reader will be updated in case of any security vulnerabilities.

Whenever I attempt to update it, it begins to install the new update, then right in the middle of updating, the same error message box pops. Here it is below...

Posted Image

I've even tried uninstalling Adobe Reader so that I can reinstall it and see if it would allow me to update that way...but the same error message appears even when I try to uninstall it. It won't allow me to uninstall it either due to this error. It's saying that it can't open this particular registry key, and I don't know why. Can you please help me fix this problem so I can update Adobe Reader? I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Give this a try

1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe -4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.

3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)

4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:

i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

ii. subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

KiKi, I would recommend uninstalling Adobe Reader permanently and installing one of the good, free PDF reader programs that are available. I've been using Nitro PDF Reader and am very satisfied with it.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 -KiKi-

-KiKi-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Jardon. This worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic