Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop does not show:dell optiplex gx280 with windows xp professional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

For some reason, suddenly the desktop has stopped appearing. This started a week ago after which I kept the computer turned off. The only thing I can do is start task manage (cntrl-alt-del). I navigated to the system32 restore folder and selected rstui.exe as a new task to start, but the computer didnt do anything except show the rstrui process in the tasks list. I was able topen regedit though, but I dont know what I can do to restore the computer to an earlier time or to factory settings.

Help please, what should I do to get the desktop back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ed_Zipper

Ed_Zipper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

This is a Virus. DO NOT DELETE TEMP FILES. I can give you some steps, but I don't know how savvy you are. Combo-fix is your first program to run, followed by TDSSkiller, then Malwarebytes.

DO NOT DELETE TEMP FILES.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

This is a Virus. DO NOT DELETE TEMP FILES. I can give you some steps, but I don't know how savvy you are. Combo-fix is your first program to run, followed by TDSSkiller, then Malwarebytes.

DO NOT DELETE TEMP FILES.

Do NOT follow the suggestions of anyone who suggests such as the above.

You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to do so...by a BC Helper, who is a member of the Malware Response Team (personnel properly trained to overcome malware). Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.<<The only thing I can do is start task manage (cntrl-alt-del).

<<I navigated to the system32 restore folder and selected rstui.exe as a new task to start,>>

That doesn't make any sense to me...Task Manager doesn't allow folder navigation of any sort.

System manufacturer and model?

What made you wait a week...before realizing that this was a problem?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

<<I navigated to the system32 restore folder and selected rstui.exe as a new task to start,>>

That doesn't make any sense to me...Task Manager doesn't allow folder navigation of any sort.

System manufacturer and model?

What made you wait a week...before realizing that this was a problem?

Louis

Hello Louis
I suspect he means he did what I've shown in my attachment, just another way to get to run, rather then the Win Key + R

I agree it wasn't very clear...

Best Regards
Roger

[attachment=115948:Taskman Run.JPG]

Edited by rotor123, 03 January 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users