Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2008 server share problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adam23

Adam23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hello,

So the issue I am having is quite a mind boggling one and I can't figure it out. Recently had a 2003 server die and had to start from scratch so I put server 2008 on it (not R2) since it was a decent built server. On it is a program that is shared out to users and they launch the exe. For some reason 2 out of the 10 users have an interesting issue. Anytime they connect to this particular share it disrupts the servers communication and doing a persistent ping shows it regulating between replies and time outs. It's not the computer that's losing communication but it's doing something to the server because it makes remoting into it or anyone else trying to use the program impossible. The users in question can get to \\server instantly but once they go to \\server\program it starts screwing it up and I tried cutting that part out and just making a shortcut \\server\program\program.exe and same thing. Not sure what to do at this point since it's only two of the computers screwing it up.

I have disabled smb2 to see if that helped and it didn't.

Edited by Adam23, 03 January 2012 - 10:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

What is the difference between the 2 computers that cause this issue, and the other 8 that do not? I would start to look at DNS and to look at MTU Size.

#3 Adam23

Adam23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

That's the thing there is no difference. There is a computer 2 feet from one of them going through the same switches, running the same os (windows xp), they both are set dhcp and i even gave it a static ip so I knew it was being pointed to the correct dns servers and still the same issue. The computers connected fine when it was on 2003 but just started having this issue when I changed the OS to 2008.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I would remove them from AD, and try readding the computers.

#5 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would run Windows Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users