Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless N Network running too slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gopher Love

Gopher Love

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Ok, so I have a brand new Netgear N600 dual band Wireless N router... Running with comcasts fastest internet (with a wired connection my internet will run at 35mbps usually).. So heres my issue. Sometimes my connection will run just fine, and sometimes I can't get it to connect to the internet at all and my Local network runs at a constant 6.5mbps MAXX no matter WHAT. So My guess is the somehow the router isn't always putting out wireless N or much more probably, i'm getting interference from my neighboring wireless networks.

So what can I do to try and solve this here problem? Again, Everything runs maxed speed on a wired connection. Occasionally (maybe half the time) the wireless network runs just fine (not maxed out speeds but more than sufficient, maybe 25-40 mbps) and the other times my local network is stuck at exactly 6.5mbps and my internet will not connect at all or run at around 0.5 - 1mbps (when it's normally 30-35mbps)

A second question. Is there a program that will let me view some info on my wireless connection? Like what channel it's currently on, what the signal strength is (in dB, not the stupid bars...) and stuff like that. I know linux let's you view it, and i'm trying to get my SSD into my laptop with linux on it anyways but I would like to be able to see before then... So is there a program or way that I can do that on Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Where is the wireless router located and are there any cell phones or other wireless devices near by?

#3 Gopher Love

Gopher Love
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

The Wireless router and modem are located at the front center of my house. I've tried to be about 2 inches from it and normally I am about 15 ft from it through one wall. Yes, there are up to 5 cell phones in my house, 3 laptops, xbox 360, and that is usually the only wireless devices. There are at any time up to i think i see about 6 total so 5 other wireless networks within range of diff spots in my house (mainly where i'm at 15 ft away from router).

BTW The cell phones aren't on our wireless network normally.. just the cell network.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

Cellular phones can cause interference on wireless networks even if they not on the network. You may just have to many wireless devices in the area of the wireless access point / router.

#5 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Have you tried manually switching the channels on the router and verifying that the firmware is up to date? While other radio based hardware can cause interference, it's usually not enough to notice a difference. At least in my experience it has never been a problem.

Update the firmware
Try a different channel
Update your Wireless NIC drivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users