Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All 4 USB Ports Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toshibalaptopgirl

toshibalaptopgirl

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite pre-loaded with Vista. I have had this laptop for approximately 3 years.

About a year ago my SD card reader stopped working. When I say it stopped working, I mean that if I inserted a disc into the slot, the entire machine would freeze and I would have no choice but to reboot. Then I started to use the USB cable to transfer my photos to the laptop rather than using the SD disc.

Now, all 4 of the USB ports are doing the same. It freezes only when I select 'My Computer' to open up whatever I have plugged in.

The funny thing is that if I plug in my cell phone or iPod, it will charge them ... but if I try to open up the device, the laptop freezes and I have to physically hold down the Power Button to turn off the laptop.

I have run several scans and there is no virus/trojan/malware on my laptop.

I checked Device Manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks. The drivers for the ports are up to date and everything is installed properly. I have checked the BIOS settings and it is all normal.

What else can I do to make this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Have you tried reinstalling all USB ports? Sometimes a system scanner or protection software would interfere on USB device access on your computer. Startup type for universal plug and play in services.msc should also be on Automatic. Please check it also.

Tekken

#3 bucapnpgh

bucapnpgh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

I had the same problem last week with my satellite which is about the same age as yours. I took it to a tech, who started it in safe mode. When I restarted it in normal mode, everything showed up again. Also my 6to4adapter uninstalled itself.. this seems to be a common problem, but again, starting it up in safe mode, restarting it in normal mode seemed to help. My windows updated before all that happened, and started installing a new one when it was connected to the internet again later that day, so I don't know if it was a software glitch or not.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Uninstalling all USB controllers (don't bother with anything but controllers) in Device Manager...then rebooting the system...solves a number of USB problems.

You might also try the FixIt link in the guidance at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users