Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor stays black on startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sw1tch0

Sw1tch0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

This is a recent issue that has just popped up. I'm using a pretty old machine:

9800 GTX + graphics card
Quad 2.2 gHZ proc
750 sli motherboard

Both monitors have been fine (i know this because i have two, so they wouldn't just both die at the same time, and also because they show power and life all the time), so have the connections. All of a sudden i turn on my computer and the screen stays black. The monitors say they aren't receiving any input.
I can hear via my headset the sign in screen coming up, so im pretty sure it's graphics card related. I've dug in there, reconnected everything at least 5 times, blew on it, removed dust wherever possible, did not fry anything via static electricity. All the lights are fine, even on the graphics card.

I've troubleshooted it for a couple hours now, and the only thing i can think of is the graphics card. Am i missing something or do i need a new graphics card?

Edited by Sw1tch0, 03 January 2012 - 03:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hi There,

I have read your message and I got 2 impresses about your Computer problem.
Why have you a black screen, when you start up the machine?
Well, there are 2 reasons for this: 1. The old videocard is not compatible with your Monitor or 2. the Videocard is broken.
What can you to do, so that you know or option 2. is here the case? If you install the Videocard in another old machine, a machine what is compatible with the Videocard and you have than, when you start up that Computer, image, than do you know that the Videocard is not broken and that option 1 is here the case.
But you told in your message that you have an old machine, so I do think that the Videocard self is broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users