Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to install Windows XP Home from a flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pJ`

pJ`

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have the installation CD and Serial but I need to format my friends computer but his disk drive won't work can I do it from a flash drive? If so is there a guide perhaps?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi -
Yes there seems to be various assorted ways to do this, if the computer has a Genuine M/soft Registration sticker on it -
All I did was enter your exact question into Google Search, and I was presented with many options.

Since I have never used this method, I was not quite sure which version to present in a shortcut / link.
Please enter your exact question (as written) into Google and if you would like help with one version, please ask.

Thank You -

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Can your friend's computer boot from a USB device? Not all older computers are capable of this. To test, insert a USB flash drive, boot computer, and go into "BIOS setup." Look for boot menu and see is your flash drive is listed or if boot from USB device is present.

What is the exact make and model of their computer.

As noknojon says, there are many ways to accomplish this if the computer can boot from USB.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

I've actually googled how to do it and got it working thank you both though :P

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users