Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop not showing up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 abbyisme

abbyisme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hey there,,
I'm having a problem with my computer's desktop.
When I turn my computer on, it takes about 2 hours to load, then once loaded and I log on, it doesn't show my desktop. Instead it has a black screen and a message saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)." I have opened task manager but the same message pops up. Nothing will load, there is no start menu.
I've tried to boot up in safe mode and it works, but from there I have no clue how to fix this problem.
Please help, I'm so frustrated >:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

Hi -
If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.
For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

Please read and follow - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Thank You -

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Try chkdsk

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

#4 abbyisme

abbyisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Ok I will try both of your suggestions tomorrow, thank you

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Are there any changes to software prior to the problem?

Tekken

#6 abbyisme

abbyisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yes, I installed Avast just before it happened. And found that uninstalling Avast actually fixed the problem. But this is annoying because I paid for Avast and I want to use it but now I can't, and I'm not too sure why either.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

You could relay the problem to the Avast support team or site on the fix for the paid product. Atleast you could now use the computer. A free version would be more practical at this point.

Tekken

#8 abbyisme

abbyisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

I have already contacted them about it but their support is not helpful. I also can't use the free one - it just does the same thing.

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

When you uninstalled Avast did you use the Avast uninstall utility. My own experience with problematic Avast installs has been to reinstall and then to use the Avast Removal tool or Revo uninstaller. Then follow-up with a reboot and a fresh install of Avast that hopefully works correctly.

If you didn't use the avast uninstall utility, try installing the latest version of Avast and then remove using the Avast uninstall utility from the link above. Then after the corrupt version is completely uninstalled (removing leftovers not previously removed), then try to reinstall Avast again. May work for you, may not but worth a try since you've paid for the software.

One other thought, was this a new avast install, i.e. changing over from another antivirus/security suite? Sometimes there are leftovers from a prior antivirus or security suite install that conflict with the installation of the new security software. So if there was a prior non-Avast security suite or antivirus, you might try using that antivirus/security suite's uninstall tool before attempting to reinstall Avast. see List of Uninstallers

tork

Edited by tork, 07 January 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#10 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Replace avast with MSE antivirus.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well I use Avast on my Vista laptop and it doesn't cause me any problems.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users