Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird desktop problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 William Armstrong

William Armstrong

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Alright, recently I've had a weird problem. My desktop has apparently.. de-synced with the Users\username\Desktop folder. It's a mild annoyance at the moment, because I'm playing with modding a few games I have, but sooner or later I'll actually need my desktop back.

I can't actually move anything from the desktop itself, almost like the files aren't even on the screen. It's also not updated with the files I've added to the username\Desktop\ folder, nor with the ones I've deleted.

I've tried system restore, but it didn't do anything.

I also looked around the internet for some help, but this is the only place I've actually asked- search engines are stupid and can't learn, and were no help at all.

Happy for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

desktops are for shortcuts ,not storing files on,your desktop is actually a file within windows used to show icons and to work windows from ,file put on it are store in the desktop.ini file and are stored nowhere else on the computer[unless you did it that way ]if the desktop file becomes corrupt you will be able to create a new one ,minus the files and folders ,they will be gone !!
,could be its a bit corrupt, if that even possible.have you tried going to safe mode, get there by hitting f8 on bootup

Edited by caperjac, 03 January 2012 - 07:26 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users