Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update broken after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 deesto

deesto

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I did an update of Windows last week, which included two critical fixes (I think both were related to .NET) and two "optional" security updates. I updated, rebooted, and now Windows Update no longer works: the icon is missing from the menu item, and when I click it nothing happens. The Windows Update service is running; tried restarting that as well. Tried a .NET cleanup utility, but all that seemed to do was remove or break one of the .NET version installations (a game that uses .NET complained after running the utility, and stopped complaining after I manually re-installed .NET 3.5 and updates). None of these helped, and I'm not sure what else to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehyoda

Tehyoda

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

What operating system? Realized this was posted in Windows 7 section.
Try pressing the Windows Key + R, typing in wuapp.exe and clicking OK.
See if it brings up the windows update dialog.

Edited by Tehyoda, 02 January 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi -
You could try Control Panel > On the left side is a link to Updates > Installed updates.
This should tell you the date of the last update and what it was -

Thank You -

#4 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi Tehyoda,

What operating system? Realized this was posted in Windows 7 section.
Try pressing the Windows Key + R, typing in wuapp.exe and clicking OK.
See if it brings up the windows update dialog.

Nope, nothing happens.

#5 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi noknojon,

Hi -
You could try Control Panel > On the left side is a link to Updates > Installed updates.
This should tell you the date of the last update and what it was -

Thank You -

For me the path was a bit different -- Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update: See Installed Updates -- for some reason I didn't have anything in the left panel.

But the only thing showing from the date this all started (12/29) is Security Update KB2656356, and somehow after that I have five updates labeled "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (5)" dated yesterday. I didn't download or apply those. Maybe they got auto-applied after I manually installed and updated .NET 3.5?

The other updates listed there are older and should not caused any problems.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

what about a system restore ,,back to the day before the updates

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

what about a system restore ,,back to the day before the updates

I have restores turned off -- too much wasted space, and I'm usually pretty careful with files and backing up. I wasn't counting on a Windows Update breaking Windows Update.

I found a page that suggested I download and run Microsoft Fixit, and even though it seems to be for XP, when I run the tool it comes back with "Repair Windows Update components", which it says it has "Fixed" but doesn't actually seem to have fixed anything:

Issues found Detection details 6
Repair Windows Update components Fixed
Repairing Windows Update components frequently resolves common Windows Update errors
Windows Update components must be repaired
Succeeded

#8 Tehyoda

Tehyoda

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Try downloading Process Monitor from here.
Once you have it downloaded, run it.

Then press the Windows Key + R and type in wuapp.exe
After that, go back to Process Monitor and goto File -> Save.
Make sure Events displayed using current filter is selected and Native Process Monitor Format is checked.
Then select a destination to save the file, I recommend your desktop and click OK.

Now you're going to have a log file that could be around 100 MBs or larger, so I recommend you create a zip/rar file using either WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRar or the default windows zip tools.

Then upload it to a file sharing site like http://www.mediafire.com/, and post the link in a reply.

#9 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi Tehyoda,

Posted the log file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s6si9z9cmic3pm8

For 'wuapp' I see only two registry entries and no processes after trying to run it.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Do these entries seem odd anyone?

wuapp.exe DeviceIoControl C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log INVALID PARAMETER Control: IOCTL_MOUNTDEV_QUERY_DEVICE_NAME

wuapp.exe DeviceIoControl C:\Windows INVALID PARAMETER Control: IOCTL_MOUNTDEV_QUERY_DEVICE_NAME

Also, wuapp.exe has the ZoneAlarm Forcefield module attached to it. I read that it is part of a toolbar. Perhaps try uninstalling it and retesting.

Edited by LucheLibre, 06 January 2012 - 11:52 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#11 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

You're right that those don't look good, and they don't seem to be common problems. I was also greeted with another problem on boot today, which popped an error dialog stating that mscories.dll could not be found. I saw this while an "applying personal preferences" was running for:
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Rundll32.exe
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mscories.dll,Install
I'm thinking either the registry got screwed up (by the Windows update itself, or by a CCleaner run), or something's infected. I keep Microsoft Security Essentials updated, and run a Malwarebytes AntiMalware scan every week or so, and nothing ever comes up, so I'm actually hoping for a registry problem.

#12 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

A Microsoft Security Essentials run claimed to have found and removed the following Java problems yesterday:
  • Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.NU
  • Exploit:Java/CVE-2011-3544.L
  • Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.NU
I can't find much information on them and have no idea how I got them. I also spent a few hours yesterday trying to uninstall Java jre1.6.0_29, which complains that an MSI installer is missing, but the one it's looking for is for an earlier version (jre1.6.0_20-c-l), and I can't find a download anywhere that will get past the uninstaller error.

Then I ran ComboFix, which ran for a few hours and also quarantined these files:
  • C\Windows\iun6002.exe.vir
  • C\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\vso_ts_preview.xml.vir
  • C\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\inst.exe.vir
  • C\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\chrtmp.vir
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware no longer runs, complains about a registration problem with 'vbalsgrid6.osx,' which gets installed in its directory. Found instructions to re-install VB6 but that didn't help.

Finally, uninstalled ZoneAlarm Free but it didn't help with Windows Update: there's still no icon for Windows Update in the menu, and clicking the entry does nothing.

What else can I do? Otherwise I think I'm looking at a complete wipe and re-install. Unfortunately I don't think a Windows restore would help at this point, as I don't know when these problems initiated and retoring could perpetuate a hidden problem.

#13 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I guess a full wipe it is then, unless there are any tips for fixing these and checking for other problems?

Thanks.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

I would try MS FixIt...before wiping it.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

Louis

#15 deesto

deesto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hi Louis,

I would try MS FixIt...before wiping it.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

I had tried that earlier, but tried it again and the same thing happened: FixIt says it fixed Windows Update and nothing changed.

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

Tried to follow these instructions to ensure the system is properly configured, but some of the sections on IE security configuration don't make sense, and some actually specify information for "Windows 98". But the part on checking registered files was useful, and the tool showed a problem with mshtml.dll, but not how to repair it. Also, SFC " found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them", and the SFC log had some entries like:
"Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"wucltux.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users