Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cinnamon?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just saw this: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1910

Apparently Linux Mint is getting a new desktop.

I'm open to new ideas, but I'll have to wait and see if this is any good.

Thoughts?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

I prefer LXDE.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've always been partial to Gnome myself, but I'm curious about this new desktop.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

i cant get it to run on my machine due i think to my graphic card. it is suppose to be a fork of gnome3. all i get is a desktop with no icons or menus. if you install it you need to also install the session manager. from what i have read a lot of mint linux users like it.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

though i couldnt get cinnamon to work i was able to install linux mint mate in ubuntu. works great. a fast tutorial under cheesemakers-linux corner. this way you have the option to log into a mate session while in ubuntu.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

just got cinnamon to work. am using it while in ubuntu. not bad

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Cool. :)

I'll have to try Cinnamon out in my virtual machine once I get back to fast internet.

#8 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm using Cinnamon from Mint 12 right now and absolutely love it! I did do a little bit of personal tweaking (enabled two panels and moved the menu bar and launchers to the bottom) and it's awesome! :)

#9 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm using Mint 11 on my main machine, and I'm very happy with it.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on my backup machine and HATE unity. So I installed Cinnamon on it and really liked it. However....... I was wondering what would happen when the next round of Ubuntu updates came along. When the updates became available a few days later I installed them and got this error message at the end.

Posted Image

So I went ahead and installed the partial upgrade and it crashed Cinnamon! I guess Ubuntu just doesn't like anything that takes away from the Unity desktop.

So next ( as suggested to me by cheesemaker ) I installed Mate on my Ubuntu machine - I love it!!!!!!!! The 'good old' Gnome2 environment. I really like using the top and bottom panels, and the menu layout. But then, this is just my preference. Now I'm waiting for the next round of Ubuntu updates to see if Mate survives them. I have a feeling that the updates will crash Mate also, but that remains to be seen. So when the updates arrive, I'll post back here how I fared with them.

#10 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

keith never run a partial update it might bork your system. i never use the update manager i run this from the command line for updates and rarely have any problems

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and i check often since i am using linux mint 12 and ubuntu 12.04 alpha but it works great on a stable release like mint 11 and ubuntu 11.10 also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users