Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Cable Unplugged

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

I just upgraded to a higher speed internet. Shaw brought me a new modem a Cisco DPC3825. I think it was shortly thereafter my computer keeps saying a network cable is unplugged. My Vonage and Magic Jack phone receptions are awful. I was without internet for hours. I finally got through to Shaw and they said it was probably my cable. We changed it with no improvement.We reset the modem. My internet came back up, but continues to show the network cable unplugged every hour or so. I asked them if it could be the modem, they said nope. Any suggestions? The phone thing is really hard. We can hear our callers clear as day, but they get echo and only every second word and calls drop all the time. I really appreciate any advice.

The computer I am running into troubles with is my desktop. AMD Athlon, I am running Windows XP. The router is connected with a wire. It is right beside the computer. It is cable internet. I have tried moving my Magic Jack to my laptops with no improvement.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

In all honesty, it sounds like a bad modem or loss in signal. As a matter of fact I'm having similar issues where my connection drops and displays the same message. I called cox communication and was told they could see the modem dropping. They explained it could be caused by loss of power or bad coaxial cables. The modem is old and I'm using an AC adapter that belonged to another modem. I opted for them not to come out as they wanted to charge me and I will be moving out anyway.

Can they test or stress your signal strength? Do you still have the old modem to test your connection?

#3 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks! They let me bring in the old modem and replace it. I haven't had any more troubles with the internet dropping, but the phones! That's another story. I have been with Vonage for almost 5 years and have been pretty happy as I need to do lots of long distance. When I contacted them they said they'd send me a new modem too! Hopefully with all new modems I'll be up and running! Thanks!

#4 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Any time. I'm guessing the new modem has routing capabilities, you may also want to make sure all the necessary ports are opened for your Vonage service. Here's some info on ports: https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/690/~/advanced-installation-with-port-forwarding

Good luck, mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users