Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Color printer recommendation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Dear All,

Can anyone recommend a color printer? I am trying to buy a new (or used) color printer to use for 90% black text printing and 10% color images (not photographs), printing about 200-500 pages a month for a home office. I'd like one that produces good images, is relatively inexpensive to operate (ink or toner costs), and is reliable and simple to operate. I know that's a tall order and from what I read online, maybe it's impossible. But I thought I'd ask here.

It could be laserjet or inkjek. It could cost up to about $600, I guess, if a higher price helps. I hope the footprint is not too large. Speed is not a big issue; I'm used to 4 ppm. It could be a currently available new model or an older one that I could find used. (I suppose some older models might be better, perhaps predating the trend toward building printers mostly to sell the ink/toner.)

Background: My other printer is an HP 4L that I've been using since 1996 (110,000 pages printed so far) without major problems, other than replacing the main gear last year. I'm hoping to find a color printer that is at least half as easy to use and reliable as the 4L.

I hope it's okay to ask this question here, although this is mainly a forum for getting help with getting things working. I know there are various reviews of hardware published online, but most of those seem to be part of the computer sales industry and rather too optimistic -- and they would never refer to a discontinued model. E.g., I just looked into the top rated models from Consumer Reports' 2012 Buying Guide, and what actual users report about them at sites like Amazon is rather dismal. But if you can point me to an objective review that identifies a relatively good color printer, that would be great.

Thanks for any ideas,
Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Good morning Roger,

Since you mentioned the printer you are looking to purchase would be used in a home office environment, I would offer one recommendation (even though this is an all-in-one type printer; i.e. printer, scanner, copier [no fax]).

I personally use the Canon Pixma MP495 AIO color inkjet printer. It was acquired new, direct from Canon. The cost was less than $100.00. The printer can accomodate both standard-fill Canon color & black ink cartridges or the larger capacity ones. (The printer does come with standard-fill color and black ink cartridges). Print quality is adjustable (i.e. fast print, normal print, high quality, & a custom setting); Within the user interface, you can also select (from a list) what medium you are printing on (e.g. 8.5" x 11" paper, envelopes, etc).

It is easy to use and I've experienced no problems with it thus far. It comes with a 1-year warranty. As for the ink costs...at a local Staples store here, the large capacity color cartridge retails for $28.29. The black cartridge does cost less, but I do not recall the exact price. (Cartridges can also be ordered direct from Canon).

I'm sure other more knowledgeable forum members will stop by and provide their own recommendations.

Regards & best wishes for a happy New Year,

Edited by spc3rd, 03 January 2012 - 09:29 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users