Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many of you believe that Microsoft is using Windows Live to steal other company's ideas for Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hello allm

I'm rather curious about this ever since I began to think of it this way. I was talking to somebody earlier today, and we got into the discussion of the new login and Windows Live deep integration that Microsoft is planning for Windows 8 (which I can't wait to get my hands on both the client and server versions of the OS). Well anyway, my friend tends to follow the belief that the integration of Sky drive with the OS and all of the other stuff is in a way stealing the ideas of Apple and their ideas for integration due to all of the stuff that iCloud does. I mean, the question is which one came first? And do you guys agree?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

You could say that Apple stole the iCloud Idea from Google then. Cloud Computing is nothing new, and cannot be patented, so no I do not believe that MS is stealing other companies ideas.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

Well, both Apple and Microsoft stold the graphics user interface.
They both swiped it from Xerox at the Palo Alto Research center

The mouse, and the concept of how we use our computers today, and supsequent devices, was neither of their ideas.

Get the movie Triumph of the Nerds or Pirates of Silicone Valley at your local library and watch them

Edit: Also read the Road Ahead by Bill Gates and Programmers at Work

Edited by Eyesee, 03 January 2012 - 11:34 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

That is very interesting indeed. I'll have to refer her to this thread.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Microsoft is really the alter ego of Skynet.

Bent on world domination.

:hysterical:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Microsoft existed long before Skynet
If it wasnt for Microsoft Skynet probably would not have existed.

How does one eliminate ones competition?
Buy them out and shut them down.
Sound familiar?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

buy them out, shut them down, and blow everything else up ;)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Scene in Pirates of Silicon Valley:

Bill admitting he stole from Apple:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I actually agree with cryptodan on this.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#10 KarlMonster

KarlMonster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

... we got into the discussion of the new login and Windows Live deep integration that Microsoft is planning for Windows 8 ... I mean, the question is which one came first? And do you guys agree?

(My 'facts' may be a bit off, but...)

One of the stupid things that I remember MS reps saying (in court); "Nobody owns the idea factory." Even before MS asserted that IE was a core part of the Windows OS (and it was not, at that point in time) the MS strategy has been gone something like this;

1) incorporate as many non-MS technologies (or legally useable similar versions) as possible (e.g. XML)

2) force independent software and hardware manufacturers to make substantial commitments (read as 'barrier to entry') before allowing them access to source code for the purpose of creating drivers which will work with the Windows OS.
(this policy led to few available drivers for Vista as the independents balked)

3) ruthless efficiency, a fanatical devotion to the pope, nice red uniforms...

I have a large amount of contempt for the "Games For Windows Live" service, and refuse to update it as I use an older version that allows me basic DRM functionality. I have to admit that Windows 7 was several positive steps forward, despite its flaws - which I won't annoy you with now.

I cannot speculate about who owned what technologies first, but I won't be at all surprised by MS' future legal battles.

I would suggest, however, that by integrating everything under the sun, MS is making itself vulnerable to competition. Compare the big, clunky, and obtrusive Yahoo! client with Pidgin, and you'll see what I mean.

[Full Disclosure: I like Pidgin!]

#11 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

A bit of an aside
When patent laws and copywriter laws were introduced the concept of writing being used as a tool was unknown and not envisioned.
I believe they way it works is that patent holders have 17 years of exclusive use to their idea.I think copyright holders have 75 years after the death of the holder of the copyright
For a patent I believe the thought was after a reasonable length of time society at large should be able to benefit from an invention.
This may be why you see drug prices so high.Drug companies need to recover their investments before the patent expires. Soon after generics quickly start competing.
If the same laws applied to software think how much faster the industry could grow by allowing others to expand on the original concepts.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Animal

You got that clip in Pirates of Silicon valley where Bill bought DOS from a Seattle firm for 50 grand?
And sold IBM an operating system that he did not yet have?

That decision changed computing forever!

#13 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Microsoft is really the alter ego of Skynet.

Bent on world domination.

every one is believe me

" because they can "

Edited by ranget, 20 June 2012 - 06:08 AM.

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

If I remember correctly, Mr. Gates left IBM with DOS and a idea of personal computers for everybody. IBM though he was crazy and the rest is history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users