Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which online repair service to use?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

This question is about what online repair services to use to repair Internet Explorer 8. Iím running IE 8 with XP. When I google ďrepair Internet Explorer 8Ē I get a slew of online repair services and donít know which one to pick. The going price is around $60 for 1 time support. Can anyone recommend which one to use? I have tried the forum suggested repairs but they are too detailed and I canít follow the instructions (Iím running IE 8 but web sites see me as IE 6). I would rather pay and get it fixed. And NO, I canít use another web browser. IE is required for my work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Have you tried going to IE 9 ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi wrhatt,

You can try using the Microsoft Automatic Fixit tool. Just click the 'run now' button
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Pauline

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Have you tried going to IE 9 ?

Although it has been done, I.E. 9 is only for Vista SP2 and above .
M/soft has no patches, repairs, or securiyt updates for I.E.9 when used on XP -

The better solution for problems with I.E.8 on XP, is to reinstall I.E.7 and check M/soft updates for patches -

Thank You -

#5 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

I was told IE 9 wouldn't work on XP and Mr. Fix it, didn't fix it. I've tried multiple fixes and none have worked or were to complicated for me to follow. Again the question is what on line repair service to use?

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

I stand corrected, IE 9 won't work. Noknojon has a better idea...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

To answer your question: None of them
They want $$ as you know.
Probably for nothing.

How does free tech support sound?
If that sound good then you are in the right place!
BC has a brilliant minds from all over the world

You have not posted exactly what the issue is.
WHat problem are you havine with IE?
Make/model of the system might be helpful as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

The tech support I called today wanted $60 and wanted to externally access my computer to "see" what the problem was. I hung up. Actually I posted the problem on BC in May 2011 and no one could help back then. I posted; I have IE 8 on my computer but my some website's see it as IE 6 and won't let me access the web site. I understand that I have a corrupted User-Agent String but I don't understand the fix. Microsoftís fix for it reads like stereo instructions. Can someone assist me in understanding it and correcting my problem?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Louis

#10 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Louis

Doesn't work but thank you for the suggestion.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

google your problem and found this .
http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/973139-solved-websites-identify-ie8-ie6.html

the link in his post goes to this site .
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

hope it helps you it seemed to help him/them
good luck

Edited by caperjac, 03 January 2012 - 07:56 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

I had previously tried fiddlertool. That is why I know I have a corrupted User-Agent String. As I stated when I posted back in May, I don't understand the fix and am unable to follow the recommended corrections. That is why I am looking for an online repair web site and will pay someone to fix it. My technical skills are novice at best.

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

http://sympmarc.com/2011/04/07/please-upgrade-your-browser-to-ie8-or-above-but-im-already-running-ie8/

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Please do not get ripped off by paying someone for online support!
That is a bad mistake!

What antivirus/antimalware programs are you using?
Might be dealing with a bug
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

http://sympmarc.com/2011/04/07/please-upgrade-your-browser-to-ie8-or-above-but-im-already-running-ie8/

Yes I know I have a corrupted User-Agent String. I've tried all these fixes. I went into the registry and checked the 4 files listed in the article. They are clear of any Mozilla reference. Here is my string: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)

Edited by wrhatt, 04 January 2012 - 12:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users