Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista starts and then computer shuts off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 strope411

strope411

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Good Evening,

I am working on a Toshiba satellite laptop for a close personal friend. It has a windows vista basic operating system and a celeron M processor. When I boot the computer up I get the warning stating that the computer did not start-up properly and suggests that I use the start-up repair. After I choose this option the repair program will start but after a few minutes the computer simply shuts off. When I select the start Vista start-up I get a screen stating "Configuring updates: stages 1 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer." After a long delay the desktop finally shows. Then after about 45 seconds, BAM! It shuts off again.

My friend brought me computer concerned about it getting very hot and lacking sufficient memory. I am in no way a computer technician; she knows that this knowledgeable group of moderators have helped me before. This laptop is part of her family's ministry and they do some pretty cool work.

I am around my computer regularly (thank goodness for Xmas vacation) but live in California. I am a teacher so please be patient in what can be sometimes seen as random questions. I love these forums and the work you folks do is a lifesaver as well as amazing. Please understand if there is a lapse in time.

Thanks for reading my post,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi strope411,

Good chance it is over heating and the system is shutting off to protect itself. If the computer is still under warranty, I would advise going that route.

If not, can you hear a fan or feel warm air exiting from the side vent near the CPU while it is running? A bad CPU fan, dried thermal paste between CPU and heat sink, clogged air vent, or any combination of these could cause over heating.

You could try to blow some compressed air (short bursts - keep air can vertical) through the vent by the CPU.

As a test, you could put the laptop on a "cooling pad" or position a small fan to blow air into the CPU vent on the side, then see if the computer stays on for a longer period of time. If it stays on longer, then the laptop should be disassembled to investigate.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the response. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I need to go buy some compressed air; but looking at the external vents they look rather clean. Are there schematics available online that would show me what to do when opening up the laptop?

Thanks,
Mike

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

if you can supply the model part number off of the bottom of the laptop I'll see what I can find.

In the meantime you can try using a can of air to blow out the heatsink while at the same time using a vacuum cleaner on the bottom air intake to try and suck out the dust.

You want to locate the cooling air outlet. It normally is on the side or back and the air inlet use usually a circular opening on the bottom with a plastic grate covering it to prevent anything getting into the fan and damaging it.

Simple test:
Is the fan racing as the laptop gets hot, It should By the way.
Is there a large volume of air coming out the cooling air outlet?
Is the air hot or warm?
Is there a lot of air coming out but it isn't hot, then it could be a failed heatsink assembly.

So far in the last couple of years I have had to replace the heatsink assembly on two or three Toshiba's and an Acer laptop for failed heatpipes.

I have also pulled a couple apart that looked like this inside.
[attachment=115978:DSC00812.JPG]
That sort of flat copper pipe running off of the right side is the heat pipe.
Needless to say the overheated and shut off all the time.

The test is temperature and volume of air coming out the cooling air exhaust vents.

Edited by rotor123, 03 January 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Sorry about the lag in response. Kids came home from Grandma's house today so it was pretty chaotic. I will tackle the bottom of the laptop tomorrow morning. Also, when I did get the laptop all the way started there was no sound or motion from the fan at all. The external vents look clean.

I will post pics of what I discover tomorrow.

Thanks Again,
Mike

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Your friend mentioned the laptop getting very hot, Is that you observation too? The fan is thermal controlled so until there is some heat to dissipate the fan should not be running, This is by design to improve battery runtime. If the laptop is running really hot the fan should be racing.

first check is it getting hot?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yes it seemed hot. I tried to restart it several times. The very first time it stayed on for about 30 minutes. I heard no fan motion what so ever. My hp pavilion runs a fan constantly; probably not a good thing but I know what the fan is supposed to sound like. After the initial 30 minute start up the Toshiba constantly tried to run start up repair. The first time it got all the way through but when it attempted to restart it completely shut off. Not realizing it was a fan issue, I tried restarting it several times and every time it would run for a shorter amount of time. After letting it rest for about 2 hours I restarted it again and it got to the desktop screen but then shortly shut off again. The bottom of the laptop seemed rather warm.

The model is a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2326, serial # 37338110K.

While it would be nice to get this laptop running again, I would be happy to at least get the music and pics off of it.

Be patient with my questions since this will be my first time taking any computer apart :)

Thanks again,

Mike

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

If I had the model part number (Between the Model number and the serial number on the bottom) I could be more sure but it look like the part number for the fan is K000044720. However it looks like a pain that requires total dis-assembly to change.

1. I suggest if you want to fix this one that you bite the bullet and have a Toshiba repair center do it $$$$$, Not worth it.

2. Take the hard drive out being careful not to squeeze it. To remove it turn the laptop over with the front facing you. Remove the Battery.Left side is a cover with two screws securing it over the hard drive. Check the right hand bay for a second hard drive too. Remove the hard drive being very careful to hold by the sides and not drop it. A local computer store should have a hard drive to USB adapter for that drive. Be very careful not to hit it with static and ruin it that way. Bubble wrap to protect the drive for safety too.

3 if you are handy a small 50mm or 60mm fan and a touch of hot melt to hold over the air inlet on the bottom blowing in and wired to get power from the USB port should also keep it running for a while unless the heatsink is also clogged.

4. alternative find a inexpensive laptop cooling pad and build a air dam to direct one fan into the air inlet.

[attachment=116079:Tosh bottom.JPG]

Edited by rotor123, 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

I haven't forgotten about this issue. Took everything apart and blew out the sink, it was really packed with dust. Been really ill. Plan on tackling this laptop this weekend. Thanks!

#10 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

The dust build up would have caused overheating due to bad ventilation but that does not explain why you didn't hear the fan going full throttle. Unless it is a very quiet fan there could be a problem with that also.

I would suggest installing this software so you can keep an eye on the temperatures.

CoreTemp

You can set it up so it displays the CPU temperature in the right side of the task bar all the time.

Edited by mark1956, 24 January 2012 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users