Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card/Overdrive issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

So I was playing around in the Overdrive part of the Control Center software that came with my driver - it is an ATI Radeon 6770. I moved the clocks up, I don't remember how far (they were set pretty close to the maximum to begin with), but not quite to the max, and hit test. Screen went crazy and was just totally unstable. I couldn't do anything, eventually had to restart windows. I figured everything would go back to normal, but it never did.

Windows would start, I'd get to my desktop, and within 10 or 15 seconds the screen would fill with black and gray lines, flash, and then just turn black. I never had enough time to open CCC and reset the clocks. I tried removing then restoring power to the card and re-starting to no avail. Also I unseated and then reseated the card, to no avail. My old video card (4850) which is in now is so big it had to use the other slot so I'm wondering if I could have damaged the PCI slot?

My question then is is the card still usable or did I totally fry it? I'd think if it was totally fried I wouldn't be able to get any video onto my monitor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would try lowering the resolution to 800x600 within that 10 to 15 seconds and see if you can fix it.

Otherwise I recommend removing your ATI Driver software and reinstall.

#3 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Can I download and install the new driver suite with the old card installed and then swap cards, or should I just totally remove everything Catalyst Control Center/ATI/Radeon related and then just reinstall the card with the cd that came with it like i did months ago when I first installed it?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Remove everything related to your ATI Video Card.

#5 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Did that, reinstalled it like new and it was fine - Windows found the driver. I went and downloaded the latest driver and it had CCC with it. Starting CCC did the same exact thing so I removed it again, and got rid of everything on there.

CPU-Z can identify it as a 6700 series, I can get the resolution to 1920x1080, Skyrim (first game I opened) appears fine, so i guess all is well.

I just got used to being able to control the fan and check the GPU temp. Any ideas how else I can do that if not with CCC? I don't want to dick around with OC'ing it again, but I guess I have OCD with adjusting the fan.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

I would recommend using RivaTuner it is free and light weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users