Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF/Java rootkit removed, audio dropouts and DPC latency issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 is3000

is3000

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Forum member nasdaq helped to remove the last traces of a serious infection I picked up via a PDF (see that thread for background info here). nasdaq suggested I start a new thread here to fix the remaining problem.

The computer has been scanning clean for quite some time now, but I am still experiencing DPC latency related audio dropouts that started with the infection. I have updated all of my drivers, the BIOS, Firefox, Java, Flash, and Adobe Reader.

The dropouts tend to start when I interact with the operating system (minimizing and maximizing windows, going to Show Desktop, etc.), but they seem especially likely to start when I play online video or audio streams. When the dropouts start, I get an audio stutter once per second. This can go on for quite a long time even after all applications are closed and even with almost all devices disabled in Device Manager. Then the problem will stop and everything will work normally for a while.

Posted Image

This is a typical example of what the DPC latency looks like when the dropouts begin.

Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi -
Have you followed all of the directions in the box under the Latency Checker so far ??
Is this only showing in F/Fox or did you try Chrome and Internet Explorer yet ??

Thank You -

#3 is3000

is3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

The problem seems more likely to happen in Firefox, but it also happens in Internet Explorer, Chrome, or without a browser open at all. So far, I have not been able to narrow down the problem to any particular driver or program.

I have tried disabling every device with a 'Disable' feature in Device Manager except for the hard drives, but this seems to have no effect on the spikes. This is a desktop PC, so the most common culprit, WLAN, is not present. There is no modem and the internal sound device is disabled in the BIOS.

Edited by is3000, 03 January 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#4 is3000

is3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Problem solved!

After a month of updating everything under the sun including programs, drivers, and BIOS, verifying that the hardware was not failing with stress tests and diagnostics, and getting clean scans, I decided to borrow a hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows XP on it. The DPC latency problem disappeared even though I was using the same hardware, drivers, etc. Then I asked myself, what's the difference between my Windows install and this fresh one besides starting from scratch with the core Windows files and registry entries? Almost nothing!

So, I decided to do a Repair Install with my SP2 disc. After updating Windows again and restoring a few registry tweaks, all appears to be well. Hope this helps someone in the future.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Appreciate the feedback :).

FWIW: Files/registry entries can become damaged anytime, a repair install can sometimes overcome such damage to system files...sometimes not.

Glad you were able to resolve and post back with your resolution.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users