Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Insecure Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2chiefsRus

2chiefsRus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I am hopefully at the end of the process to repair and remove the Win 7 Antivirus 2012 menace. I have downloaded and installed the Secunia Personal Software Inspector. I have uninstalled or updated all the items listed as insecure except two - Adobe Shockwave player 10x and 11x. When I go to the Control Panel I see two similarly named programs Adobe Flashplayer 11 and Adobe Reader but not the Shockwave ones. How do I uninstall the ones not listed on the Control Panel?

If it matters, here is what I have done already with the Win 7 Antivirus 2012:

1. ran the fixNCR.reg
2. Ran Rkill
3. Ran the full scan with Malwarebytes (free version so far)
4. Ran the TDSSkiller
5. Downloaded and ran the Secunia PSI.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is only my second post here (first was under the introduction forum) so please be compassionate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Shockwave uninstaller
Instructions to uninstall Adobe/Macromedia Shockwave Player

How is your computer running now? Are there any more signs of infection?...strange audio ads, unwanted pop-ups, security alerts, or browser redirects?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 2chiefsRus

2chiefsRus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply - that looks like what I need. It seems to be ok but this is the second time in the last 6 days that it has occurred. The first time I tried to get rid of it, I didn't run the TDSS killer but when I ran it this time, it didn't find anything. I also ran the Rkill a couple times this go around. I have been using Trend Micro Titanium for the last two years since I bought this laptop. I am thinking it would be a good idea to get the purchase version of the Malwarebytes and ditch the Trend Micro - does that sound like a good idea?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

I am thinking it would be a good idea to get the purchase version of the Malwarebytes and ditch the Trend Micro - does that sound like a good idea?

No. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious.

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.

#5 2chiefsRus

2chiefsRus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I am thinking it would be a good idea to get the purchase version of the Malwarebytes and ditch the Trend Micro - does that sound like a good idea?

No. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious.

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.

Thanks again. Good information in your post. I haven't had another item identified since this afternoon about 5 hours ago. I am running the two week trail of the Malwarebytes Pro. I think I may have it this time. Only time will tell. I'm a little reluctant to make the purchase until after I see how it keeps running. I don't feel too comfortable entering my credit card number right now to pay the $24.95.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Well that's why they give you two weeks to try the full version for free so take advantage of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users