Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no audio/sound from pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blackiebear

blackiebear

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

PC is dell dimension 4700 running xp home service pack 3
sound device is creative audio PCI ES1371, ES1373 (WDM)

My volume is fine and on..no mute
tried several sets of speakers...Speakers work on other computers....plugged into green outlet
audio device is installed and "says" it is working
did not uninstall driver, but did try to update with cd...no change.

I don't think there were any updates that caused this problem. I did have the nasty system fix virus, which was taken care of, thanks to your instructions. Sound worked fine after and through two sets of speakers. When I unplugged one set to plug in a new, the sound no longer worked. Computer is running much slower since virus FYI.

I am not tech knowledgeable, but I have researched and tried all the basics I have seen online to correct this problem. I am nervous to go further without guided instructions. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi blackiebear,

Not sure if you have tried this yet..Make sure your audio service is running

Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click on the service and select Properties. Check that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Pauline

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

<<Sound worked fine after and through two sets of speakers. When I unplugged one set to plug in a new, the sound no longer worked.>>

Have you tried the onboard sound?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

As for the Creative card...I suggest uninstalling the drivers (via Device Manager), then rebooting Windows.

Louis

#4 blackiebear

blackiebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi blackiebear,

Not sure if you have tried this yet..Make sure your audio service is running

Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click on the service and select Properties. Check that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Pauline

I did do this, and everything was checked, appropriately. thanks!

#5 blackiebear

blackiebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

<<Sound worked fine after and through two sets of speakers. When I unplugged one set to plug in a new, the sound no longer worked.>>

Have you tried the onboard sound?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

As for the Creative card...I suggest uninstalling the drivers (via Device Manager), then rebooting Windows.

Louis

ADI 198x Integrated Audio is what is available for download on dell, under my computer I did go through troubleshooting through dell's website previously for my computer, and it was no help. I believe they said my current driver no longer has updates and maybe some more info that was no help, lol. I have been working on this for a few weeks and it's all sort of running together.

I did uninstall and reboot. Installed Creative automatically, but still no sound. Thanks for that step and for any more that might help.

Edited by blackiebear, 03 January 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Well...is the onboard sound enabled in the BIOS?

I suggest removing the Creative soundcard...and seeing if the onboard works properly.

Louis

#7 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi Blackiebear..

Something else to try...

Go to Control Panel...double click “Sounds and Audio Devices”..Under the Volume tab make sure the mute is not checked and that volume is up..Next click on the "Advanced" button, make sure your speakers are set up properly..click the speaker volume button..check that both speakers are turned up..click okay..now click the Audio tab..Under 'playback' make sure the default device is set to your sound card and then click the volume button to make sure it is not turned down..

Pauline

#8 blackiebear

blackiebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

I disabled the sound card and enabled onboard sound. Yay, I have sound!!!!!! Thanks for the advice!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users