Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remove unwanted entries in Add/Remove Programs applet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 empty_pockets

empty_pockets

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

remove unwanted entries in add/remove programs applet
Hi all. I'm tuning up a pc for a friend whose kids have installed

numerous trial games, itunes, music oasis, etc., and other misc. crap.

Got most of it to my liking except this: can't get rid of 2 entries in

the Add/ Remove Programs applet in Control Panel (itunes and music

oasis). Here's what I've done so far:

Searched the web high and low and tried every suggestion offered to no

avail, so I'm trying as many forums as I can keep track of. There are

a lot more sharper minds than mine out there.

In Regedit went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Current

Version|Uninstall and removed all the entries I wanted, then rebooted,

went back into Add/Remove and itunes and music oasis are still there

Opened C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf, but the 2 entries aren't even listed

Someone suggested using Tweakui, but, as far as I can tell, that only

removes the applets in Control Panel (unless I'm missing something

there)

Installed a program called Add Remove Program Cleaner, but the 2

offending entires aren't listed in there either

Ran Hijack This>Misc. Tools>Unistall Manager, and the entries aren't

there either (no big surprise there either)

And, finally, reinstalled itunes and music oasis, then rebooted,

uninstalled them again, and the entries are still in the Add/Remove

Programs list

This is starting to irritate me.

Thanks in advance for any new suggestions as I'd like to get this thing

back to him cuz he needs to watch the farm markets tomorrow a.m. if he

can

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

From the Web:
One method: This method avoids editing the registry and should be tried first.

The easiest way is to open Add/Remove Programs and select the listing for the program you know has already been deleted. Select the application and click the Remove button. Since there is no application to 'remove', the process will time out and you'll be presented with an option to remove the entry.

Another method: To manually remove the orphaned entries from the Add or Remove Programs applet, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, Run and type regedit.exe
  • Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

Note: Each subkey represents a program that you've installed. To determine which program that each key represents, click the key, and then view the DisplayName value data in the right pane

• Select the subkey that you want to delete
  • Right-click on the subkey and choose Delete
  • Close Registry Editor

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks buddy215, but already been there--done that. Didn't work.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

Remove With Revo Uninstaller Free
Full details and other links if you follow the link above -

Good Luck -

#5 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

noknojon, I'll give Revo Uninstaller Pro a try and see what happens. From looking at the link u included, it looks like it might take awhile to complete the job, but I'll post back with the results. Thanks.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

If Revo doesn't do it, try the registry edit again. Look for strings of numbers like this {0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}.
click on each one for more info and to find the ones related to the orphans in Add/ Remove.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Please be sure to FULLY read the post prior to attempting to just hit a few targets with Revo.

It is a good program but all the extras (including backups) are important -

I had this problem myself and this was the only (slow but good) way to remove it -
EDIT -
@ buddy215 - There are registry links and backup links included in that post -

Edited by noknojon, 02 January 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#8 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

buddy and noknojon, will examine the strings and am still working with Revo. U're right noknojon--it's a slow process with Revo, but slow and sure just might solve the prob. Got my fingers crossed (and my eyes are too--been at this for the last 2 days. lol) Will keep u posted with results.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

You might also want to download install update and run both
Avast AntiVirus and MalwareBytes AntiMalware

Pretty much guaranteed infection!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Another day, another stab at this guys.

buddy, I ckd. ALL strings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall for the umpteenth time just to be sure as u suggested and there are NO entries there relating to itunes or music oasis

noknojon, finally got thru with Revo last night and I removed LOTS of entries it found relatiing to Apple, itunes, ipod, etc.

Eyesee, I already have Avast (great free AV IMO) and Malwarebytes + Windows Defender, CCleaner, SuperAntispyware, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, and ran an online Trendmicro Housecall scan--all clean, so I'm pretty convinced there's no infection(s).

The final result this a.m.--still have itunes and music oasis in Add/Remove Programs. Not a big issue, but it just irks me to no end that I'm sure there's a way to get rid of 'em and I'd like to know how once and for all cuz I do a lot of work for people who have probs. with their pc's. A final solution to this issue would be invaluable to me for future use.

Thanks to all of u. Will keep plugging away at it and keep u posted.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Two things to try.....Do you have Ccleaner installed? It has a program uninstaller and I think it removes the listing in Add/Remove.
Once installed just click on tools and look for uninstaller or program uninstaller...ever how it is listed and see if those two are listed.
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

You can also use a program that I really like which is Everything....once installed it will find files faster than you can type them in its search bar.
It may just find those files hiding in some folder that hasn't been deleted. Everything Search Engine

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

To the best of my knowledge ccleaner does NOT remove obsolete entries from Add/Remove.

If it's only two apps / entries, reinstall them and then uninstall them from Add/Remove

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

@ Allan - From Post #1

And, finally, reinstalled itunes and music oasis, then rebooted, uninstalled them again, and the entries are still in the Add/Remove Programs list

Hi again -
Chances are that if you followed all the processes I linked, the programs are now dead items.
But there are times that an entry will still show after it has been removed fully.

If the items no longer show under Programs, you have removed the actual item, and just have a false reading left.
Try to access them via programs if they still show, but I do not think they will actually exist at all.

You said that you have CCleaner installed, so you can also check and remove with ehat program.
Open the program face, select Tools, and Uninstall -
If either program still shows click on it and click Uninstall > Delete entry. It is like your Add / Remove feature.

Thank You -

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Found this program that was recommended by a Windows MVP.....

This program allows you to clean up the Add/Remove programs list in the control panel. It should only be used to remove entries that are broken and cannot be removed by running the uninstall program

Downloads website: Downloads | Remote Administration For Windows
Direct download for Add/Remove program cleaner

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

@buddy215

I think he's already tried that?

<snip>
Installed a program called Add Remove Program Cleaner, but the 2

offending entires aren't listed in there either
<snip>

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users