Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

various errors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Siouxze

Siouxze

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi,
I hardly know where to begin. I am having so many problems. I run Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 on a Sony Vaio laptop. I will just list some of the things that are going on. My Vaio Care quit working. It will load and immediately I get the message "Vaio Care has experienced an error. Please restart application." This is unfortunate since my Windows Updates are handled with VC, although I think I am current on updates. Restarting the app and rebooting do nothing. I always get the same message.
If I right-click on my desktop to personalize, I get the message "Explorer.EXE No such interface supported." Right-clicking to screen resolution gets the same message, although right-clicking to all the other options works fine.
Some programs quit working. Yahoo Messenger does ok except for the chat window is blank whether I or someone else types in it. My e-Sword program won't run at all, except if I try to run as admin, I see it try to load, but before it does I get the message "Error encountered opening Bible file: c:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\kjv.bblx" If I try to close that window it just pops right back up, so I have to terminate that with task manager. My Incredimail won't pull up at all. Since I couldn't pull up my usual email program, I tried to pull up Windows Live Mail, but neither would it pull up. I went to uninstall it and had the option to repair it and it works fine now. Secunia PSI won't load right. I get just a bland screen. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but still the same results. My Weather Channel Desktop won't pull up. I get a "page not initialized" error. These are just some of the problems I have noticed so far.
Web pages pull up just fine. I don't have a problem with that.
I couldn't access my System Restore for the longest, since it's within my Vaio Care, but I did finally get to it in a round about way and tried to restore to 3 previous dates, but all still works as I have described. Sometimes my system restore attempts were unsuccessful and other times they worked. During the one I attempted in safe mode, I got the BSOD with an entire page of "stop error" messaging. Various other error messages occurred with other attempts which I can't remember. I will list all of these below.
Oh, and it seems that lately, when I go to misconfig to take out some of my startup programs, it doesn't stop them from loading.
Ok, here are the various error messages I have received over the past couple of days.
1. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable 0x80070570
2. rstrui.exe application error The instruction at 0xfb4aca53 referenced memory at 0x90305338. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.
3. A problem had been detected and window has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation had unexpectedly exited or been terminated. If this is the first time you've seen this "stop error" screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart you computer , press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode. Technical information: ***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFF8008E2EB30, 0xFFFFFA8008E2EE10, 0xFFFFF800033DB8B0) collecting data from crash dump...Initializing disk for crash dump...Beginning dump of physical memory.Dumping physical memory to disk:100 Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

I had Norton, but since it didn't find anything, I deleted it and ran Windows Defender which also didn't find anything. I've run MalwareBytes - nothing. I tried startup repair from safe mode. I checked intel site for updates and sony site as well.
Help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'd be thinking "hardware" and start with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic. If the base is problematical, nothing installed on the base can be expected to be problem-free.

Louis

#3 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'd be thinking "hardware" and start with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic. If the base is problematical, nothing installed on the base can be expected to be problem-free.

Louis

Ok where do I find the appropriate hard drive diagnostic? Is it something I need to download or is it built into W7?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

HI, You can find the brand of hard drive in device manager under the drives section.
You can get there by right clicking on Computer and picking Device Manager on the left side.
That will show the drive model, if it starts ST it is most likely a Seagate. If it starts with WD then it is a western Digital. If you can not decipher it post the model number here and we can help.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor. It sure gives a lot of information, including critical updates I didn't have. I installed those, but I see no difference made.
Here is the requested information from Belarc:

WDC WD5000BEVT-55A0RT0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WX11EA022968, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy

I went to Western Digital Service and Support site, but the attempted download of the Windows diagnostic failed.
What's next?
Thanks for your help!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

can you download on another computer? If so then download the bootable CD version. Boot off of it and run the diagnostic that way.
Link below.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1329&p_created=1109970314&p_sid=WA2UQtNh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTImcF9wcm9kcz04NSwxMCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTIuMTAmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1kaWFnbm9zdGljK2Nk&p_li=&p_topview=1

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I got the Data Lifeguard Tools downloaded on my laptop. I am about to run it and I see some options. They are 1)Quick Test 2) Extended Test 3) Write Zeros and 4)View Test Result. Which do I need to do?

#8 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I got the Data Lifeguard Tools downloaded on my laptop. I am about to run it and I see some options. They are 1)Quick Test 2) Extended Test 3) Write Zeros and 4)View Test Result. Which do I need to do?

I ran the extended test and it appears everything is ok. Here are the results.

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000BEVT-55A0RT0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WX11EA022968
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 16:15:17, January 03, 2012

What's the next step?
Thanks for your help!

#9 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

One problem fixed! I got to wondering if I had downloaded the beta version of IE 9 some time back. Since I don't use IE, I never thought about it again. I'm still not sure I did, but I uninstalled IE 9, let it revert back to IE 8, then updated 9 and the windows updates. Now my Weather Channel and BigFish games manager work. I'm still having all the other problems listed though, with their corresponding error messages.
Any suggestions on where to go from here?

#10 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Booting this message so it doesn't get buried. :) I'm still having problems. Any suggestions out there?
Thanks!

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Funky memory can do weird things and now that the hard drive has been ruled out....

Did you ever run a memory test?
This one applies to windows 7 only

For example, from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

"To run the Memory Diagnostics Tool manually

If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Choose when to run the tool."

167 @ June 2015

#12 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yes, I've run the memory diagnostic and everything was fine.
I found 2 new problems which may help diagnosis. When I try to save a picture to my picture file I get a "class not registered" error. Also, when trying to open e-sword, I get several "error encountered opening Bible file",messages, each showing a different component of the file.
Open to more suggestions.
I should mention I haven't had this laptop a year yet so it's still under warranty, though I hope I can find the problem and fix it rather than send it to Sony and wait who knows how long. :)

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just to be sure, go to our "Am I infected? What do I do?" forum for an all clear.
@ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html
follow the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic41987.html

Mention you were referred from this forum and be patient.

Don't let your warranty run out just in case. Backup anything you would hate to lose just in case.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 Siouxze

Siouxze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ok, thanks Roger. I'll go post this in the other forum. I do have Carbonite, so everything is backed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users