Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Friends computer has done something with her Internet Explorer. Turned it on the other day and it can't be found. I'm going to take a look at it this afternoon and would like to be able to load an alternate web browser on her machine and then hopefully find or download a new copy of IE. Can I get a full copy of Firefox or some other browser so I can get on the internet? Would like to be able to have the alternate browser on a flash drive.

Edited by jfruch1, 02 January 2012 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

One thing you can try is look in Program Files folder (two if 64Bit windows)for the Internet Explorer folder then run iexplore.exe.

Alternatively search for iexplore.exe
If you can't find it someone may have chosen to remove it in "add or remove programs" in XP for example it can be done under a tab on the left called "Add / Remove Windows components"

Someone may have just deleted the shortcut or renamed it accidentally. Look and see if you see the Big E with a funny name. Check the recycle bin and see if it is in there.

Alternative you can download Firefox on your computer and copy it to a flash drive. However some sites do work better with Internet Explorer IMO.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

One thing you can try is look in Program Files folder (two if 64Bit windows)for the Internet Explorer folder then run iexplore.exe.

Alternatively search for iexplore.exe
If you can't find it someone may have chosen to remove it in "add or remove programs" in XP for example it can be done under a tab on the left called "Add / Remove Windows components"

Someone may have just deleted the shortcut or renamed it accidentally. Look and see if you see the Big E with a funny name. Check the recycle bin and see if it is in there.

Alternative you can download Firefox on your computer and copy it to a flash drive. However some sites do work better with Internet Explorer IMO.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input. While waiting for a response I found a mobile version of Firefox - had forgotten about that option. I installed it on my flash drive and hopefully that will give me the ability to get on the internet if I need to reinstall her browser.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

You can also look for Internet Explorer in the Start Menu/All Programs.

If you find it in Program Files and/or in the Start menu RIGHT click on the icon and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

If you create the shortcut from Program Files it will show up as iexplore - Shortcut. Right click the icon to rename it to Internet Explorer.

Use this as a teaching opportunity to show your friend how to put icons on the desktop is she does not know how to do that.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 January 2012 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users