Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with XP uninstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2970emma

2970emma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

Happy New Year!

Sometime last year I posted asking if my best option was to resintall windows XP on my 5+ yr old laptop – I decided it was (the laptop had suffered a few years of ‘neglectful’ use and I wanted a clean slate on which to be a more conscientious and organised computer user).

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 1640z. Acer do not supply laptops with a recover/windows disc but provide the information somewhere in the harddrive. My harddrive had been reformatted so I can not access these file, but I have been gifted a legal copy of windows xp complete with code etc.
When I put the windows xp disc into the laptop (logged in) it gives me several optios including ‘install xp’ but none that say ‘uninstall’ or ‘remove and reinstall’. I am worried that if I follow through with ‘install’ I will end up with 2 copies of XP on my laptop and in a worse position that when i started!

Hours of internet searching told me to try:
1. Holding down alt + F10 when computer is loading – this did nothing
2. Loading in safe mode and removing XP using remove programmes – XP was not listed here
3. Altering settings in BIOS before putting in XP disc – I’m unsure of what to do here and lots of help on the internet is not that clear – I didn’t want to make things worse for myself

So my question – will the XP disc allow me to load 2 copies of XP? If so, what is the best way to uninstall XP?

Thanks in advance for your help. Apologies if I’ve misused any terms.
Emma

P.S. I did try and forum search this before posting a new thread but found lots of references to other brand laptops and from my understanding ways to access BIOS or boot files differ between operating systems and laptop brands.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

<<When I put the windows xp disc into the laptop (logged in) it gives me several optios including ‘install xp’ but none that say ‘uninstall’ or ‘remove and reinstall’. I am worried that if I follow through with ‘install’ I will end up with 2 copies of XP on my laptop and in a worse position that when i started!>>

There is no way to "uninstall Windows", the partition ximply needs to be deleted after the install routine shows your detected hard drives and Windows install.

You can review the following for what should be taking place :). Scroll down to Steps To Clean Install XP and begin reading there.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 2970emma

2970emma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thank you so much Louis - that makes things much clearer.

Apart from all my files, internet favourites etc. is there anything else that I should back up or risk losing forever e.g. hardware drivers for graphics cards? And if so, where abouts would I find these? Just that the new copy of windows I have is OEM marked (not necessarily Acer) so I'm worried it may wipe out some important driver details.

Thanks again,
Emma

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

A clean install...wipes out everything.

As for what you should backup...that's something that should have been considered long ago.

You can Google "backing up my computer" and get ideas for what is best for you.

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Louis

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Downloads & Support Documents - Aspire / Aspire 1640Z http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=78

#6 2970emma

2970emma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

thanks union_thug - good to know they're there as downloads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users