Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System booting and crashing issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Triplitz88

Triplitz88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hey all,

I've got a rather annoying problem with my computer that I built and just upgraded.

Here are my system specs:

Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
CPU: Socket AM3 Phenom II X4 965 (3.2 ghz)
RAM: Corsair 4x2GB DDR3-2000 (Clocked on BIOS to 1748 - can't seem to go higher)
HD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM (2 250GB boot partitions and 1 450GB storage partition - one boot partition used - <2 years old)
DVD-RW: Asus DVD-RW
Graphics: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6950 in Crossfire
Power Supply: XFX 850W Power supply (advertised as SLI/Crossfire ready)
Case: Lots of fans and good airflow
Monitors: 1x 17" VGA (DVI-VGA adapter) and 1x 22" DVI Widescreen (Primary)

The Symptoms:
One of 3 cases:
1. Computer will boot but say it cannot detect HD
2. Computer will not reach POST (Ie no beep code) and simply run with all fans on high.
3. Computer will boot and run for at least a day and then crash with a screen freeze.

What I have tried:
1. Pulling both cards out and booting on onboard graphics only. Boots just fine every time.
2. Pulling one GPU out and running it on only one GPU. Sometimes boots normal and sometimes wont go to POST (no beep code just fans running on high.)
3. Both GPU in. Will still boot and run for over 24 hours but crashes with screen freeze.
4. Testing all the voltages out of the Power Supply. All seems fine.
5. Putting the HD on different SATA ports.

History of errors:
This setup was working flawlessly for 2 months with no crashing. One night I'm about to hit the sack, I have Diskeeper, Diskcleanup and Malwarebytes going. Half an hour later the computer reboots. I'm lying in bed about to sleep and decide it can wait until morning. When I wake up I see that it has rebooted and cannot detect a boot device. I'm on winter break from college and decide to see if I can find out whats going on.

I go through a lot of different combinations and pull out both GPU's and it boots normally . All through this point is has gone past POST and has shown an error saying no boot device.

From this point on the error changes. Now instead of saying it can't find a boot device, it won't even give a beep code, just runs with fans on high. Put in one GPU and it boots, although with the other GPU it didn't boot initially. Later it booted fine. I ran it for over 24 hours and it crashes again. This time while I'm having one of my most successful games of Europa Universalis 3. I toyed with it a but more but I simply can't get it to even give me a beep code, it just runs the fans on high.

The fact that it has had these same symptoms before and I was able to run it for over 24 hours (including a reboot) without an issue tells me I've got a hardware problem that seems to be fairly hidden.

Now the fact that this problem started 30 minutes into a Malwarebytes scan worries me. I am forced to wonder whether something damaged my mainboard or something got written into my BIOS when I wasn't looking. Those are extreme cases. No I don't go questionable sites and the only virus I've gotten in the last 2 years has been that damned SecuRom worm thats buried in Imageshack and Megaupload (mostly Imageshack though). I've gotten very good at removing it (god bless Regdelnull).

So I'm seeing either 1 issue or 2 issues going on at the same time.

So my personal list of things it could be are as follows:
1. Mainboard
2. Power Supply
3. Graphics Cards
4. And maybe the Hard Drive

My stress level: Very high

Thats about it.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Edited by Triplitz88, 02 January 2012 - 06:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

You don't say if you tried resetting the BIOS and removing any overclock as part of the troubleshooting. Things do age and change values.

Look at the motherboard for any burned looking or bulging / leaking parts. Electrolytic capacitors can bulge or leak for example and cause weird symptoms as you describe. examine the video cards too. There have been reports of bad capacitors on video cards as well as motherboards.
One the right side of the page examples of bad capacitors.
http://www.badcaps.net/

If that doesn't help then go to basics
strip out everything not needed. minimal memory, no drives connected, one video card. Any USB devices removed (Includes card reader bays. Make sure no USB ports physically damaged.

If it all works at this point then add things back one at a time trying power on/off several times for each addition.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Since the motherboard doesn't seem to be seeing the memory properly the timings and other values are probably incorrect as well. This can lead to strange issues. Have you tried to use the AI tweaker to manually set the speed, timings, voltage, and latency? If that doesn't work or it continues to crash if it does I would attempt to set the settings as if it is using DDR3 1333. It maybe that the board is rejecting the higher clocked memory.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Triplitz88

Triplitz88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Well I replaced the mainboard and that fixed the booting issues.

Minus where when it gets to windows it restarts every time.

Now I'm starting to think what caused this all was a virus.

#5 Triplitz88

Triplitz88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Sorry for double post.

I ran a startup repair and its saying that a previous driver may be causing the issue.

I was not able to uninstall my old mainboard drivers so how would I fix this issue?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

A couple of things to try.

1. Safemode?
2. Go into the Bios and turn off everything not needed to boot to windows.

If either of these work then you can uninstall the old drivers and see how that goes.

One other option is if you have a extra drive to clone to, then you can use something like Easeus ToDo backup Free and choose the Restore system to dissimilar hardware option
"The feature of "recover to dissimilar hardware" can simplify system migration with restoring system to dissimilar hardware configuration for hardware replacement under WinPE recovery environment."
Note: I haven't tried this feature yet although I have done regular clones with it.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users