Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing and Shutting off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IcarusLives

IcarusLives

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello all, a little bit ago I complete reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate and ever since my computer has been freezing randomly to the point where not even task manager works. Soon after the freeze my computer will turn off. I have updates all of my drivers, did a memory test and many virus scans and they all turned out alright. It stopped for about a whole week then started up again. If anyone could help it would be highly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Use BlueScreenView to provide details about your errors.

• Download the .zip file and extract to a folder on your desktop. Open that folder and run BlueScreenView.exe.
  • After BSV completes its scan, click Edit > Select All. Then click File > Save Selected Items and save the report to your desktop as BSOD.txt
  • Open BSOD.txt in Notepad and copy all of its content to your next reply.

===========================================

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • A web address will be displayed, click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.
=========================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 IcarusLives

IcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Speccy - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0AKgJ6dwCR7DX78owFz4t3e

As for the BSOD, it detected 0 crashes

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Your graphics card is running very hot. Your hard drive is also warm.

If you haven't already, clean the insides of your computer with compressed air. Do not use a vacumn. Verify all fan operation.

If you have a known-good video card, swap it out and retest windows operation.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 IcarusLives

IcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

Why would my video card be running so hot? It doesnt seem to be too dirty and the fans are working. Should I change the clock settings? My computer seemed to only freeze up directly following the re-install of windows 7, did reinstalling Windows have some effect on this?

Edited by IcarusLives, 02 January 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

did reinstalling Windows have some effect on this?

Yes ....... There can always be problems. At times all the programs / drivers do not install
Did you have a Genuine Install DVD or Reinstall / Recovery DVDs

Click Start Orb > Type CMD > Right click on CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator.
In the black box that appears type sfc /scannow and click Enter. Allow this to run (may take 30 mins to 1 hour).

DirectX - - - - 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) You could update this to DirectX 11 especially if you play games -

Please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > On the left side click View Installed Updates to make sure these installed ->
12/26/2011 Security Update for Microsoft Visual ..... (KB2467173)
12/18/2011 Update for Windows 7 ....... (KB2633952) If it did not adjust your clock from Daylight savings, please do it.
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start Posted Image button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click on the Start button
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Edited by noknojon, 02 January 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:27 AM

Why would my video card be running so hot?

Insufficient cooling

- Cooling fan running slow
- Accumulation of dust
- Poor ventilation in your PC case

As suggested above, clean the insides of your computer with a can of compressed air, leave the side panel open and run the computer for a while to see if it freezes or shuts down.

Use HWMonitor to monitor the system and GPU temperatures.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 January 2012 - 03:27 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 IcarusLives

IcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Ive tried everything and my computer is still freezing up. Some additional information that may be helpful is that my computer seems to freeze up randomly for the most part but it never fails to freeze when I try burning a DVD. I can never burn a DVD without my computer freezing.

#9 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

Ive tried everything and my computer is still freezing up. Some additional information that may be helpful is that my computer seems to freeze up randomly for the most part but it never fails to freeze when I try burning a DVD. I can never burn a DVD without my computer freezing.

This could be because your computer is overheating like others have suggested. I had a laptop that could never get through burning a dvd simply because it would get to hot and shut down. Good luck in finding a solution.

#10 Marinus95

Marinus95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hello,
I've had the same problem for quite a while.
I, re-installed windows and updated all the drivers, even BIOS.
The problem was still here, i did some tests on my pc and nothing showed up out of the tests.
Today I was exploring my pc and saw i have had only 3 of my 4 RAM installed, the fourth was still in the pc but didn't word, I think it broke when I installed my new graphics card, so i removed that pece of ram and my mc works fine now, so you should check your ram, is it installed properly? does it wok? does the pc identify your RAM?
If not, just remove that piece and replace it.

Marinus.

#11 maayan1234

maayan1234

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

how do you cheak if your ram is connecting well?? and install properly?

#12 Marinus95

Marinus95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

It isn't your software wich is causing the problem,
to check if your memory is proper installed, go to CMD and type dxdiag, there you can find how moch ram is installed, if this does not match up with the actual ram inside, probably a part of your ram is broken.
If CMD doesn't work, download and install CPU-Z to check how your hardware is doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users