Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD drive issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ricciolo

ricciolo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to burn an ISO image onto a DVD+R disc (so that I can install Windows 7), but it's not working. I used Microsoft Fix It Online to test my CD/DVD drive, and when I inserted the DVD+R disc, it reported that the media format wasn't writable. I thought that DVD+R discs could be used to burn data?

The CD/DVD drive is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M ATA and, according to the device manager, is functional. Before I've been able to burn audio files to a CD using CDBurnerXP. If someone could clarify what's the issue (am I using the wrong DVD disc, is there something wrong with the CD/DVD drive, is there some other problem?), it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

best/quickest thing to do is try a dvd-r in it and see what happens ,maybe borrow one if you have to , ,around here where i live we can by them ,single at a local dollar store

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

The best ISO burning software that I have found for free is called ImgBurn.

It can be downloaded at http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Simply select Burn Image and select the DVD drive.

Hope this helps!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

After loading Imgburn, being careful not to install the toolbar....

Start the program and choose "Write Files/Folder to Disc" Under Device it will tell you the capabilities of your drive as regards the disc in the drive.

[attachment=115817:Imgburn1.JPG]

In the sample attached it shows DVD+R-DL and 8.5Gbs capacity and 2.4X burn speed, Disc status (Empty) and the disc ID Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
in this case Verbatim Dual layer. The only brand I use for DVD and BD-R. Verbatim DVD not their life series junk.

The fact that it shows write speed means the disc is suported.

What does your drive show?

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

Sorry for the late reply, but I was able to more or less work around the issue. I was trying to burn the ISO for Windows 7 onto a DVD so that I could install it, but I ended up doing it a different way.

@revolution122, @rotor123:
Do you have any preference for IMGBurn over CDBurnerXP (the latter is what I currently have)?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Why not try a trial version of Nero or other paid software products?

Tekken

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

I only use ImgBurn for burning. It doesn't do any conversions of course. But I like that it sets the disc type right when I switch between a data disc, a BluRay or DVD disc or am putting AVIs on to play in a layer that can play them. I gently suggests the proper type of disc and burns reliably. I also use it to check for firmware for my burners.

Some people prefer Nero but in many cases when they say burn they mean feed it a AVI and get out a DVD compliant disc.

I have never tried CDBurnerXP so I can not comment beyond that users like it too.

One thing to remember with Imgburn is to turn down the toolbar when installing it. I have seen the author over on www.videohelp.com replying in a message.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Well...it could be the drive, not the software.

MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users