Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo t61p wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

So I got a lenovo thinkpad t61p that wont boot, and the warranty is already over.

What Happens
What happens when you boot is that the icon that looks like a "z" turns on (though I'm not really sure what it indicates, but I think it's power). None of the usual icons would turn on (like the harddrive icon). The screen is all black, and nothing would happen. There is no beeps from the motherboard.

How it started
The problems all started happening when power was accidentally cut while the laptop was powering off. As some might or might not know, the batteries made for the t61p is extremely low quality, they would only hold 1 - 5 minutes of charge (warranty did cover this, got a new battery just before warranty ended, it died within weeks).

What I've tried
I've opened it up, checked that everything looks normal, and it did. Removed all the RAM and powered on, suddenly the motherboard would make it's normal warning beeps when something goes wrong. Put back the RAM and tested a new harddrive, still no luck. Tried connecting an external screen, but nope.

The fan would start to spin for 2 seconds, then it would just stop spinning.

Worth to note is that I opened the laptop up about a month ago to clean the fan (with "air on a can") because of overheating issues. Before, the laptop would BSoD and overheat within 10 - 15 minutes without a cooling pad. After I cleaned the fan and re-installed win7, all the problems went away.

Edited by vigge_sWe, 02 January 2012 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

What happens when you boot is that the icon that looks like a "z" turns on (though I'm not really sure what it indicates, but I think it's power).

i will assume you mean the led lite on the case .a"z" or a lighting bolt . did you try removing the battery and power cord ,hold the power button in for about a minute then put the battery and power back and try turning it back on ,this works sometimes ,but the most common thing that happens when power is lost on shutdown is Windows register corruption ,so you may need to run windows repair if you can get it to power up

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

What happens when you boot is that the icon that looks like a "z" turns on (though I'm not really sure what it indicates, but I think it's power).

i will assume you mean the led lite on the case .a"z" or a lighting bolt . did you try removing the battery and power cord ,hold the power button in for about a minute then put the battery and power back and try turning it back on ,this works sometimes ,but the most common thing that happens when power is lost on shutdown is Windows register corruption ,so you may need to run windows repair if you can get it to power up

I tried holding the power button for 1 minute, nothing.

And the computer wont even get to the BIOS post screen, the screen would be black, harddrive wouldn't really do anything (harddrive icon never turns on/flashes) (I've tried several harddrives already, so it isn't the harddrive)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Maybe these can help?
The first one is the troubleshooting guide.

Service and Troubleshooting Guide - ThinkPad T61, T61p
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/42x3595_a5.pdf

These may help if you pin down the problem.
These are the two Maintenance manuals for the T61p
For the 14.1" screen L/T
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3545_04.pdf

For the 15.4" Screen L/T
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3546_04.pdf

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

An late update on this: After several months of giving up on this, I found a guide on reflowing the motherboard in the oven. I removed all the parts, put aluminium foil around plastic connectors, removed all stickers and everything that was removable and put it in the middle of the oven at 200C for 8 minutes. That seems to have fixed it and it's fully working again, so if anyone reading this have the same issue and you have already given up, try this (just be careful though) :D

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

I hope that keeps working for you. Some tips
Always lift with a hand on both sides of the laptop so as not to flex the motherboard. Never pick up by one corner. These tip come form the maker for T41 laptops. They apply to all makes and models of course. Bad idea to go around flexing the motherboard.

Also I suggest lifting the screen by grasping both corners and not just one.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users