Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AM2+ socket prob

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Merkava

Merkava

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

I inherited a HD9500 Phenom and got a cheap mobo for it.

The processor has a broken pin (I believe it's a ground - will it be fine w/out it?) which I initially assumed to have been there for a reason, thus I sought a solution. One tutorial suggested using a small piece of ethernet cable wire, left to protrude from the socket just enough to make contact with the processor where the pin used to be. I was unsure of whether it should be long enough to make contact with the lowest surface for support (risking a short, maybe?), or just be suspended by friction through contact with the surrounding pinhole interior. I went with the latter approach, but found that friction wasn't enough to keep it in place, unfortunately.

So what I have (I think) is a tiny piece of wire fallen into the socket under the slide-lock plate thingy.

So will it risk a short if I apply juice, or is it okay? If not, is there a way to fix it for free? I suspect a technician would charge at least as much as to fix it as it would cost to buy another one ($30), but maybe a hard-times guy would only charge $10. The piece of wire is about as long as a processor pin. Also, in the picture below, it's the very last bottom pin on the right-most vertical column - right at the top corner of the little gold triangle.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

did the cpu not work when you installed it with out the jumper wire ,and yes i do think there is a possibility that it could cause a short if it came in contact with the right thing on the board

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

A magnet might be able to pull the wire out of the hole if it's still upright.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ya I wouldnt use it till u got the wire out. Id even hesitate using that fix if u did get that wire out. It may work for awhile but all it would take is the computer being bumped wrong to knock that wire back loose and shorting out something and causing permanent damage to the motherboard and/or processor. If your dead set on using it, the best way to repair it is to soder a new pin onto the CPU, or perhaps take the socket apart and soder the wire into the conector on the socket and that should only be done if your experienced with a soder gun and are very, very very careful. It has to be very very precise-one little mistake and you have a big paperweight.

Edited by the_patriot11, 02 January 2012 - 12:07 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Merkava

Merkava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. B)

I didn't try to fire it up since it was less a pin, and though I knew it wasn't "critical" to it's operation, again, the pins are there for a reason, so I didn't want to chance it. Seems I took an even bigger chance with the "improvised" solution. My brother gave me the processor, and he said it worked last time he checked. He ordered a new one when he broke the pin off (replacing the heatsink/fan, I believe), then decided to give it a try, and it worked. The order had already gone through (and it was a faster one), so he just tossed this one my way.

I'm pretty sure the wire has fallen in, so a magnet won't get it. If I have one around here, I'll try it, though.

I think I'll take the processor to a jeweler, unless someone can confirm that the pin isn't really necessary.

I should have made it clear that I was really after whether or not I could likely remove the top plate of the socket to shake the wire out. It seems brittle (prying took a small chunk out of one of the lever-lock stops), so I don't want to get too ambitious with it.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

well, if your brother said it was running fine without it, it may be fine. I dont personally think it will hurt anything to try it, but if you can find a jeweler or computer tech who could fix it that would be ideal.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Captain Crink

Captain Crink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

You risk damaging the processor by ESD if you attempt to put a pin on there in anything other than an ESD-safe environment. Can the ZIF socket cover be removed so that the wire can come out?

Edited by Captain Crink, 05 January 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#8 Merkava

Merkava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

You risk damaging the processor by ESD if you attempt to put a pin on there in anything other than an ESD-safe environment. Can the ZIF socket cover be removed so that the wire can come out?

That's actually what I was seeking advice about. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in handling this sort of material. I've tried a little prying, but the material seems too soft to survive anything more than a little nudge...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users