Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net Framework Message Initiates Restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pedro72

pedro72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:41 AM

Hello

Am having a problem with a Windows XP Media Centre machine...once past the welcome screen and logged into windows the following message immediately appears and initiates an immediate restart:

"To run this application, you first must install one
of the following versions of the .NET Framework:
v1.1.4322
v1.0.3705
Contact your application publisher for instructions about
obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework."

:thumbsup:

i have checked BIOS and nothing seems unusual, but this immediate restart is not giving me the chance to delve anywhere else. Someone has tried to download a game on the machine and I wonder whether this is anything to do with problem.

i can't be sure, but machine seems to be prompting for a floppy to be inserted into A drive just before restart. I disabled A drive, but still the restart kicked in...

pedro72

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Yes, I think you may be on to it, in terms of what may be the cause of your problems. Downloading free things from the internet will get you into trouble almost everytime. You may wish to print these instructions before trying these ideas. For best results, try these ideas in the order written.

It appears there is a program that is starting up, or at least trying to start up, when you boot up the computer and is causing this problem. My guess is that it is the game that was downloaded. Try booting into safe mode by pushing the F8 button during bootup, and then choosing safe mode when prompted. Then go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

and see if you can find the program and remove it. Reboot and see if things work well. If not, then reboot into safe mode again and this time go to:

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes)

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck the game if it is listed and then reboot normally. If things are still not all right, then repeat and uncheck other unneeded programs, test again. If you are not sure which of these programs are needed and which ones are not, then write them all down and post them here and we can help you. After doing this, is everything ok? If not, reboot into safe mode and try this next:

You could try a system restore to restore your settings back to the way they were before, back when things worked right. More info on this can be found HERE.

Lastly, if you cannot boot into safe mode let us know. Write down exactly what happens, and error messages you get, if any. Also please document everything you do, and report back.

Good luck.

Oh, one more note. This game was probably bundled with some malicious software, as many of these types of malicious programs use the .net framework to install themselves on your computer, or at a minumum encourage you to install the .net framework to make their job of infecting you easier in the future.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 pedro72

pedro72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thats great advice - thanks. :thumbsup:

Before you posted this advice, I did manage to batter my way into safe mode (the F8 key is still recovering) and a system restore in safe mode solved the restart issue.

Perhaps if I had followed your steps in order I might be able to give some more details on the actual problem.

But lets just blame the game for causing the problem and leave it at that.

Thanks again
pedrouk

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

I'm glad you got it resolved, pedrouk.

I was actually writing my response to you yesterday when the Bleeping Computer site went off line for a while. I saved my answer, and when I could get back into Bleeping Computer posted it for you.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users