Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup to external hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michael-m

michael-m

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

I've tried Ubuntu from a cd, and decided to do do a full install alongside XP.

I've backed up my HD to an external HD.

I wanted to see if I had a good backup, so tried to boot up from the external HD - but my screen just goes blanc.

Start/my compter/e-drive shows that I have a backup file - if I click on that, the backup/restore wizzard opens. Not sure I want to restore - i just want to check all my data is safe.

How can I check that all my data is safe on the external HD before proceeding with the Linux install?

Thanks.

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

What software did you use to back up the XP install?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

The XP backup tool.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

i don't believe there is a way to verify the backup using the tool other than by restoring it on a computer which isn't very helpful. Also remeber that when using ntbackup you would have to re-installwindows before you could restore the backup which is time consuming. The better bet is to use an imaging program. Most can verify the back up as part of the image creation. Also you can browse the image without having to restore it and re-install directly to a blank machine without need for the OS. There are several free alternatives that BC members have used in the past. I use Acronis which while it isn't free is a great program.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

I'm afraid what you are trying to do isn't possible.

Unlike an image file which you can explore, it isn't possible to "check" the contents of a standard Windows back file. Restoring it is the only way.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users