Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

narra5 cpu upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 demonsparkx

demonsparkx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

hi im a newcomer to hardware with computers but have a basic knowledge of them. id like to know if my computer cq5600y with a narra5 motherboard model M2N68-LA can run a AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor. it current has the stock Athlon II 170u processor. id like to replace it, with the X4 but don't know if ill need to do anything with the bios to make it work. the board is made by pegatron NARRA5 5.00 nvidia mcp61 chip set REV.A3 bios is Phoenix technologies version 5.59 date 5/20/2010. i greatly appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

From the site for your motherboard: M2N68-LA

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Socket type: AM3
TDP: 95 watt

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron 1xx (Sargas)

#3 demonsparkx

demonsparkx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

so in theory it should work fine then? if i put in a new Athlon II X4 640 would it work on its own, or would i have to update the bios first? that's what i mainly don't understand. sorry im quite new to hardware,i appreciate the help.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2012 - 07:09 AM.
Removed unnecessary use of quote.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

In theory it should work, but i would make sure you have the latest BIOS.

#5 demonsparkx

demonsparkx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

ahh okay i just checked the downloads sections from HP and there doesnt seem to be any BIOS downloads available. im guessing my bios version must be the newest/only one availabe. seeing as the processor im looking to get was released in 2009, and my bios was from mid 2010 it should cover it since the bios was a newer update then the CPU. thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users