Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not see Bios on IBM 8183

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

After repairing a rootkit with you a few weeks ago the computer worked well. It then started to blue screen and then developed a problem with windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe . I used a recovery disk and reloaded windows XP. All went well but my monitor started acting up and I started messing with the bios video setting to see if this would help. Now I get no video screen of the bios. Completely black until windows turns on. So I get windows but nothing before. Did I somehow turn off the video for the bios and the bios page? Can you help? chevelle67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi - Standard response -

If you want to enter BIOS then press F2 at bootup. Not after bootup -
You will enter BIOS. Carry out whatever changes you want and then press F10 to save and exit
You do not say if this works or what else you attempted -

Good Luck

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

One thing that would explain this occurrence is if the system has been upgraded with a video card fitted to one of the expansion slots, and your BIOS setting reverted the video at boot to the on-board Intel video. If this is the situation, there will be two VGA sockets, and you would need to move the VGA cable from the higher socket in the expansion bay to the one low down towards the base of the rear casing in order to see the startup screen. Once able to view the BIOS setup using the onboard video, the primary video can be changed back from onboard - but different manufacturers use different naming to describe the setting, so you'd need to explore the options shown. After the change is reversed and the VGA cable re-fitted to the video card socket, you would see the boot sequence again prior to the Windows desktop appearing.

If there is no separate video card fitted, we'll have to consider further.

Edited by Platypus, 01 January 2012 - 08:32 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

I previously had a video card but with the re-install of windows and the IBM recovery disk I have not been able to install the driver for the video card. Also I do not have the video card in the computer. The monitor I used in the beginning of the re-install worked OK. After a while, though, I would see the initial bios page/flash and then the Windows start up ticker. Then windows would open and it would say something about checking for files?? Then I would lose the video screen and it would say some thing about analog not being able to handle high resolution. Because I couldn't see the windows screen I could not go into control panel to change the resolution. I hadn't tried another monitor yet. I went into the Bios and changed video from integrated to PCI. I had done this earlier also and it didn't hurt anything. Now though I lost my Bios flash video and the Windows start up ticker. When windows truely started the video came on but it would shut down and go black and state analog resolution problem. I then got another monitor and tried that and didn't get the black screen/analog, it worked. So now I have Windows and the internet but I still have no initial video and can not see the Bios itself so I can not do any Bios manipulations. Is there a setting in Windows or the Bios where there is a choice of being able to see the Bios/startup? This may sound stupid but how about the battery? I can not do another re-install, in case something went wrong because I can't see the bios. UGH. Help. By-the-way you were great with my Vista F1 startup problem. chevelle67

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

I previously had a video card but ...I do not have the video card in the computer...I went into the Bios and changed video from integrated to PCI.

Looks like it's the same reason then, just with roles reversed. The computer boots up trying to display on the missing video card, then when Windows starts up, the driver for the onboard video loads and away you go.

The simplest solution will be to pop the case open and clear the CMOS memory, which should return the settings to default, including using the onboard video. The jumper to clear the CMOS is near the SATA connectors on the mainboard, a little toward the CMOS backup battery but closer to the SATA. With no power to the computer, move the jumper from the default 1-2 pin position across to 3-4, leave it there for a few seconds then return it to 1-2.

You should then be able to see the screen and enter the BIOS setup during boot, any setting you use that is not default (eg boot device order, FDD not present) you'll need to set how you want it.

Hope that sorts it out for you, post back if unsuccessful or any further issues. :thumbup2:

#6 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

I hope you are right and I think I see what you mean. There is a blue plastic thing that can be pulled from 2 pins however I have 3 pins not 4. What do you say. Can I also tell you that I can not install the video driver because the computer says that the wizard is busy. chevelle67

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

I'm not sure on that one, I was using instructions from here:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/13r9208.pdf

See if you can reconcile your board with the illustration in the manual, Pg 13.

An alternative is to remove the CMOS backup battery for a period, but it's unknown how long the board circuitry will hold enough charge to sustain the CMOS, it can be necessary to leave the battery out from a few minutes to sometimes an hour or more.

However if you want to use the video card rather than the onboard, the BIOS setting may be actually how you want it to be:

For the video card driver, do you have the driver for the onboard video installed into Windows, or is it using the standard VGA driver? If it is still the VGA driver Windows installed, you should be able to just re-fit the video card without re-setting the BIOS settings. The Windows VGA driver should also work whatever the video card is, and you should be able to cancel the wizard and install the correct driver package for the video card. Do you have the right driver package to suit the video card?

Edited by Platypus, 02 January 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#8 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Should I follow the instructions on page 24? It mentions pins 1-2 and 2-3 for password reset. With all the problems I'm having with the new load would it be OK to replace the battery if I am going to do another re load? If I do another re load is there a best way to whipe out the hard drive or should I let the recovery disks do the dirty work? chevelle

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

OK, that's interesting - there were two versions of that file with the same name, the one I read first said 1-2 and 3-4, that one says 2-3, so that would seem to be it.

But I really suspect that if you want continue to use the video card rather than the onboard, just fit it and install its drivers. With the card in place, you'd see the boot screen on it.

If you want to take the system back to using onboard video, go with the CMOS reset and see how it turns out.

#10 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

I will do the CMOS because the wizard will not let me install the video driver. It is the proper Sparkle nvidia gt9400 512 low profile driver.chevelle67

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

Fair enough. Which wizard are you referring to? If it's the Found New Hardware wizard, you should be able to shut it off and run the card's installer. If it's the installer that is stalling, so to speak, then it's unclear whether the CMOS settings would play any part in that, but give it a try.

#12 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

Platypus you are a genious!! I now have video with the Bios. I am going to do the re-install again. Hopefully it will be cleaner this time. Stay tuned. You know it is 4:13 in the morning here. But you are worth it. chevelle67

#13 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

I did the re-install and things went very well this time. However after 12 hours I now can not get into the OS. The Bios page flashes, I then get to the Windows ticker page and windows never opens. When I then tried to get into the Bios it didn't always respond to enter or F1. When I was able to get in it worked very eradically. I would push an arrow button and it would jump 2, 3, or 4 commands. Also sometimes when I try to get into F1 I will get another screen flashing on top of F1, a page about Setup and configuration? Any further suggestions? Is my motherboard stressing? Would a Bios change help or if the Bios already isn't acting right would a new Bios load mess things up further? Would a messed up Bios keep me from starting the OS? chevelle67

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

That's disappointing to have it go flaky after seeming to be all right.

Reading your description and considering what has occurred prior, I suspect you might have a hardware fault. If a hardware device is misbehaving (eg becoming intermittently non-functional) an IBM is likely to announce that it has detected a change in the hardware configuration and flash up the setup utility. And originally having blue screens with ntoskrnl faults, and Windows now not starting and the setup menus baulking, all sound like hardware issues. My first instinct is to suspect the hard drive, but unfortunately other possibilities like RAM and PSU could be candidates, and if the system has been in operation for the 12 hours you mention, temperature. Also a hard drive fault may not explain the poor response in setup menus.

A fault in the BIOS itself isn't impossible, but we should view it as a last resort possibility, trying a BIOS flash on a system with another fault (eg faulty RAM) would likely be a recipe for disaster.

How do you go with the hardware side of things, like checking, maybe cleaning and re-seating memory cards, hard drive and PSU cables, running diagnostic software for hard drive, memory, that sort of thing?

Edited by Platypus, 04 January 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#15 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I may have figured it out. One thing that I didn't realize that I should have told you is that I installed my wireless keyboard and mouse. Considering the keyboard crosses over to both the OS and Bios I unplugged my wireless and plugged in a wired set up. That stabilized the Bios. The OS still wouldn't start so I re installed the OS ......again. I hope it works, please stick with me. chevelle67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users