Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Very Slow. Why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reynolds_71

reynolds_71

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:13 AM

some site load up right away. while others take for ever or dont finish. some sites are ebay and my yahoo mail. any thoughts?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

Try clearing your cache and delete your temporary internet files etc. see if it helps.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Some sites MAY load slower than others. For example, sites with a lot of graphics, or perhaps in your examples, sites that require a log-in or in which you pass through an encripted page (which maybe almost 'invisible' to you if you have your password stored on your browser with notification turned off).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

You don't mention what type of internet connection you have, but if it is a dialup you will see a wide disparity of how fast web sites load. In the old days (the late 90's) web sites were created to work well with a dial up connection. But now that is not neccessarily the case. Many sites have 'heavy' pages and really were designed for high speed internet connections. So if you have dialup and visit a 'heavy' page, it is going to take a long time to load.

Another reason can be the speed of which the site is being sent to you. If you visit ebay at 5 am on a Tuesday morning you can expect the pages to load faster than if you visit ebay on Friday night at 9 pm when the entire United States is on line and trying to get on ebay.

I have also experienced slow page loadings on dialup connections on a very windy day. My guess is it has to do with the phone lines swinging in the wind.

Lastly, some malicious software installed on your computer, such as a virus, can cause this behaviour. The job of many viruses, adware, spyware, etc, is to 'take over' your internet connection and report to it's creator (if spyware) or download ads (adware) or open the backdoor and download it's buddies. In any event it will slow down your connection speeds in trying to download the pages and other things you may want from the internet.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 composer88

composer88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

I have found that Yahoo and Mason web site load slowly when all others are quick. I get a timeout alot on yahoo or msn. I am on hi-speed internet and have spyware doc on board. I use xp pro for firewall and my router. Tried without the router , no difference. Cleaned out my cache etc , no difference. I usually get a blank page with a padlock down on the lower right hand corner and the opposite corner saying done. Have done all kinds of deep scans etc, and no difference. And if yahoo or msn should load I get a wide background with no colors and small blank windows where colors and info should be. Anyone else experiencing this would appreciate some insight . Thanks

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:12 AM

Reboot everything from your cable or dsl modem to the router and the computer itself. See if that makes a difference.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 February 2006 - 01:13 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

Does this happen only with secure sites? (sites that start with https:// )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users