Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

volume control

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bonita-g

Bonita-g

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

My computer doesn't have a volume control..I have sound but it has to be controled by the external speaker..My grandson like to use headphones....but my computer does not have a control volume/ I have a dell dimension 4600 with windows xp Any ideas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi -
Do you just mean the Icon in Task bar, or no volume control at all ??
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment, now see if you have controls there and it is not set to Mute -

Thank Tou -

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

If you mean the volume icon in the task bar it is a simple matter to put it there.

From your Start menu click Control Panel.

In Control Panel open up Sounds and Audio Devices.

Volume
tab.

Check Place volume icon in the taskbar.

Click Apply.

To keep it always showing:

RIGHT click on the taskbar. Choose Properties. If Hide Inactive icons is marked, click Customize. Find the volume control and set it to Always Show.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#4 Bonita-g

Bonita-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I tried all that.. It didn't work...I need s sndvol32.exe but can't find one Also my computer won't let me get on this site. Shuts it down.

Edited by Bonita-g, 31 December 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

What is the exact error message that you are getting regarding your sound.

What do you mean by your computer shuts down this site?
Do you mean that it is blocked somehow?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Bonita, On December 29th you started a topic which was moved to Am I Infected? That topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic435314.html

I have a backdoor trojan horse virus, that has blocked me from getting on the internet or opening my firewall. When I run a virus protector it says, File will remain in its current location on your disk to ensure you are protected, resident shield will not allow you to access files that are infected. So I can't get rid of this virus. So if I reformat, will the trojan be gone.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Did you format your computer or take steps to ensure that you computer is no longer infected? If not, you could still be infected. That may or may not have anything to do with the volume control and shutting down this site issues but if you did not format your first priority should be making sure your system is clean.

We could work with you to get those issues cleared up but an infection would still cause other problems.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#7 Bonita-g

Bonita-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

What is the exact error message that you are getting regarding your sound.

What do you mean by your computer shuts down this site?
Do you mean that it is blocked somehow?

It is just missing. It is blank it suppost to be and when I look in search it says its not installed

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

system32.exe and systray
If you go to add windows components and remove and reinstall the media it will work again, for windowsxp users
Also - - -
http://forums.techguy.org/attachments/91688d1163267820/sndvol32.zip (Zip file with sndvol32 enclosed)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Since you have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum...to avoid confusion and comflicting suggestions, this topic is closed pending completion of that topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users