Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jereece

jereece

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

I had a home built computer that worked fine for a couple years then all of a sudden I began receiving error messages and programs (e.g. Google Chrome) would crash. This lead me to believe files in the operating system were getting corrupt some how. I was dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The errors / crashes affected both OS. Originally I thought the hard drive was failing, so I replaced it and did a fresh install of Windows 7 and Ubuntu. However, after a few days the same problems happened again. Since the computer was a couple years old, I decided to build the whole thing, only use the same case. I bought parts on Newegg.com and assembled a new system including Motherboard, Processor, Hard Drive, RAM, DVD and power supply. The only component I reused was the case. I also bought a new surge protector. Everything worked fine with the new system for a couple weeks but then I began noticing the same error messages and applications crashing. So, I ran memtest and it showed I had memory errors. I had installed 2 different brands of RAM in the system (four 2-gig modules), so I removed one brand and ran memtest again. Same result...memory errors. So I removed that brand of RAM and installed the other and ran memtest again. Same result...memory errors.

So now my question.

Since I totally rebuilt the system, except for the case, and have the same problem could it be something else? I would think it is unlikely that two different brands of new RAM would be bad. I have an external backup drive I periodically use. Could that cause the problem? The only other things connected to my system is the router, printer, my camera cable and headset. I would not think these would cause a system to go bad.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Considering you had all new parts, I would pop into Computer Management and check the level of virtual memory. It should be around half of what your physical memory is I believe.

This is the only thing that I can think of. However, not sure why memtest would give you errors for virtual memory.

Hope this helps!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Well new memory does not mean good memory or compatible memory. Try running the memory test on one stick of memory at a time just in case you got a bad stick from both brands, Slim chance but possible.

Have you looked up the proper memory for your motherboard on the makers website or on a memory vendors website?

The third possibility is a defective motherboard. Are you within the Newegg return period?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

I would think it is unlikely that two different brands of new RAM would be bad.

As long as they share the exact same specifications, it shouldn't matter. And yes, some motherboards can be picky about memory brands.

If replacing your system memory is an option, get yourself a Dual channel Memory Kit(matched pairs) from Crucial or Kingston, the safest option.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 January 2012 - 05:38 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users