Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows authentication fails for an hour each day.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 magnusansky

magnusansky

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question and if not, please feel free to redirect me internally or even externally.

I've got this work situation that I don't know the full story about as I don't know the details about our network, but I can describe what I am experiencing.

Many (every?) day between 10AM and 11:30AM (pacific), my webmail/mailhost (MS exchange) session asks me to reauthenticate by typing in my username and password again. However, no matter what I type, it rejects my submission and continues to ask for it. If I then give up and come back around 11:30AM, I can enter the correct information and it will be accepted no problem.

This happens not only on a machine that I VPN from to get into the work network, but also on machines (linux and windows) that are inside the work network that I can VNC into.

What works during the witching hour?
1) If I already have a VPN session open, it does not go down. So I can still traverse parts of my work network that don't require windows authentication.
2) My cell phone's mail program (on Android) is still able to receive emails

What doesn't work?
1) Any website in my work network that requires windows authentication, which includes the webmail, and other internal webpages.

What I haven't tried?
1) I don't have Outlook set up, so I can't be certain of its status but I assume that won't work either.

My IT has never seen this issue, and they say that my account from their side is clean (not frozen, nor locked out and the password is current). They thought maybe I had too many VPN sessions open, but this happens even when I only have one open.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen this before or if there's anything that I can suggest to my IT team to try out.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Sounds like your IT department may have some automatic maintainance going on at that hour. Since the domain controller that is authenticating your sessions are not available your current session cannot be verified and the any additional requests are rejected because the domain controller isn't available. The reason you VPN works is that it is probably using a different server for the VPN access and since your session is active you have already extablished the proper security keys on that server. Hence it has no need to re-establish your identity through the domain controller. With out knowing their entire set up it would be impossible for me to venture a better theory than that but it should be a good place to start.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users