Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Power On Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lphilipp

Lphilipp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

So, I've "finished" a new build, as far as hardware goes, and the machine looks like this:

Motherboard: Msi Z68A-GD65 (G3)
CPU: Core i7 2500k
Memory: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 32 MB cache
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70B
Power Supply: Corsair CX600
Case: Antec Three Hundred

I have everything hooked up and ready to roll, and when I attempt to power on the machine everything seems fine for about ten seconds. Then, the whole thing turns off, sits for a moment, and then attempts to power on again. This cycle repeats indefinitely. All fans are turning on and working, I have checked the CPU and socket and there is no visible damage. I have checked all power cables three times over. I have tried starting using the front power on button, as well as disconnecting the front button and using only the motherboard's power button.

Browsing forums, I have found that some people believe the issue to be memory related. As such, I have tried two different kinds of memory, in two different configurations (only the number one slot, and then both number 1 and 3 for each). However, none of this seems to be working. Also, I have returned one motherboard and exchanged it for another of the same model with the same results.

Any help would be much obliged!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Is there an OS on the HDD?

If so, it may be some BIOS settings, have you checked those?

If there is not an OS on the HDD, the BIOS might just be cycling because the HDD is not loading any OS.

Hope this helps!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

^ Yep, please include the above information.

If you do have an OS installed on the HDD, please check the BIOS to set the HDD as the first device in the Boot Order Sequence.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Lphilipp

Lphilipp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I would love to try that, but I can't even get that far... This is the first power on, and the machine isn't making it past POST. nothing shows on the screen, no beeps, etc. The whole cycle lasts maybe ten seconds.

#5 Lphilipp

Lphilipp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Just exchanged the CPU, and everything boots up fine-- must have just bought a lemon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users